Car Sharing Sheffield to Scotland

Guest busdriver1
On 20/10/2019 at 12:48, Chez2 said:

I can see you haven't driven if you think its not quicker by train. Don't forget to add on toilet, food and driver comfort breaks. On to that add on getting stuck behind slow moving traffic in areas you can't overtake. Trust me, train is often a couple of hours quicker and you can work or read on the train. If you buy a first class ticket you have space and walk around. Food and drink is included in the ticket price. This actually makes it cheaper than cattle class as my husband calls it. He sometimes used to have to go cattle class but by the time his expenses had been paid for food and drink while travelling it was false economy. You are  much more refreshed and ready to do what you have gone to do if going by train rather than by car, even if you are used to driving 250-300 miles a day regularly. 

I drive that journey  couple of times a year and using the train just does not come in to it. You forget that once there people may not ( like me ) just stay at the same place for the duration of their stay. I use my car a lot whilst up there and to be honest the drive is not that bad. One stop is sufficient for me and I find the door to door time is not that different. 

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I drive that journey  couple of times a year and using the train just does not come in to it. You forget that once there people may not ( like me ) just stay at the same place for the duration of their stay. I use my car a lot whilst up there and to be honest the drive is not that bad. One stop is sufficient for me and I find the door to door time is not that different. 

No I haven't forgotten that if you read my post. I said hire car or taxi once you get there. 

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Poor old ken, he only wanted someone to kick in for a bit of petrol.

Only on the forum can an innocuous post about car sharing turn into something of a heated debate :D

Edited by Agent Orange

Guest busdriver1
15 hours ago, Chez2 said:

No I haven't forgotten that if you read my post. I said hire car or taxi once you get there. 

Whilst your car thats taxed and tested and insured sits at home, yeah, thats going to happen.

8 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Whilst your car thats taxed and tested and insured sits at home, yeah, thats going to happen.

If you value your time and quality of time at destination then yes, it does happen.  My husbands employer used to pay for rail travel to London and Scotland instead of him driving there. Some cars have very low road tax, its negligible for some,  depending on emissions of course. The car is paid for, taxed etc whether you drive it or not. 

Guest busdriver1
9 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

If you value your time and quality of time at destination then yes, it does happen.  My husbands employer used to pay for rail travel to London and Scotland instead of him driving there. Some cars have very low road tax, its negligible for some,  depending on emissions of course. The car is paid for, taxed etc whether you drive it or not. 

I drive a deisel and am quite happy to belch out my fumes in the countryside ( that seems acceptable to several councils now)  and have the convenience of my car to go where I want, when I want to. I also have the benefit of a shorter journey time on most occasions and its half the price of a train where you have to sit with all the folks you really dont want to sit with and pay through the nose for plastic sandwiches. Trains for me are a thing of the past. They have priced themselves out of the market.

Getting back to the original point, lets hope he can find someone to share the journey as it is a beautiful trip and can be most therapeutic. .

On 23/10/2019 at 16:44, busdriver1 said:

I drive a deisel and am quite happy to belch out my fumes in the countryside ( that seems acceptable to several councils now)  and have the convenience of my car to go where I want, when I want to. I also have the benefit of a shorter journey time on most occasions and its half the price of a train where you have to sit with all the folks you really dont want to sit with and pay through the nose for plastic sandwiches. Trains for me are a thing of the past. They have priced themselves out of the market.

Getting back to the original point, lets hope he can find someone to share the journey as it is a beautiful trip and can be most therapeutic. .

LOL I don't think you have read a word I have posted. Look at my post about comfort and space in first class working out cheaper than cattle class because food and drink is included at no additional charge.  The ticket isn't expensive if you book ahead. 

Please add yourself to the Car Share Sheffield facebook page to share your journeys.