Car Sharing Sheffield to Scotland

Hi Im ken and I travel from sheffield to loch maban on the first week of each month with my wife if there is any one that would like to make the trip in a car share and help toward the fuel  I have room for three I can make sure you reach lockerbie or dumfries or I am willing to drop someone in carlisle we return always 8 days later. If you are interested please send an Email to kenbry@sky.com. let me know who you are where you would like to be picked up from within sheffield and dropped off and then picked up for the return journey. 

Wouldn't you be better going on the train and the last bit by taxi or hire car. That's what my husband used to do. 

On 12/10/2019 at 13:00, Chez2 said:

Wouldn't you be better going on the train and the last bit by taxi or hire car. That's what my husband used to do. 

hey chez, have you actually read the message tha has been posted? you reply does not make a lot of sense.

On 16/10/2019 at 10:56, buddysbuddy said:

hey chez, have you actually read the message tha has been posted? you reply does not make a lot of sense.

Why doesn't it make sense to you? I'm suggesting instead that ANYONE making that journey consider train instead. I take it you have never driven to Scotland or been on the train  to Scotland recently?  I have driven to Scotland for work  to visit  customers, its a right treck! More recently my husband used the train and taxi which is much quicker and not expensive.  Its comfy if you book first class which includes food and drink. The food and drink makes the ticket much cheaper. Which bit of this  comfort and speed via train verses car trip  suggestion doesn't make sense to you?  Did you misunderstand my post or have I missed something?  I am aware what the OP was saying, he was offering car share, probably not insured for taking  paying passengers as standard policies aren't insured  carrying passengers for gain.  Something to think about if an accident and injury takes place.

Members of  the same family can be passengers and no doubt contribute to fuel costs on journeys and holidays.

Recently a friend drove from Ecclesall to Pitlochry and back (9pm) in the day to pick up some expensive loudspeakers.

58 minutes ago, carosio said:

Members of  the same family can be passengers and no doubt contribute to fuel costs on journeys and holidays.

Recently a friend drove from Ecclesall to Pitlochry and back (9pm) in the day to pick up some expensive loudspeakers.

The OP isn't asking his family by posting on here.  I was just north of Glasgow, took me six hours.  The A66 was the worst bit.

My other half and I were considering going up to Scotland on the train recently and the train fare for two people was astronomical, miles cheaper to drive (although we decided to just not bother in the end!)

17 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Why doesn't it make sense to you? I'm suggesting instead that ANYONE making that journey consider train instead. I take it you have never driven to Scotland or been on the train  to Scotland recently?  I have driven to Scotland for work  to visit  customers, its a right treck! More recently my husband used the train and taxi which is much quicker and not expensive.  Its comfy if you book first class which includes food and drink. The food and drink makes the ticket much cheaper. Which bit of this  comfort and speed via train verses car trip  suggestion doesn't make sense to you?  Did you misunderstand my post or have I missed something?  I am aware what the OP was saying, he was offering car share, probably not insured for taking  paying passengers as standard policies aren't insured  carrying passengers for gain.  Something to think about if an accident and injury takes place.

I'm not sure it would work out cheaper going by train.

According to National Rail, a return ticket from Sheffield to Dumfries and back for the first week of next month would be £88.20 (for standard class). The OP is suggesting he could drive 5 people, including him and his wife. According to journeyprice.co.uk the total cost of petrol for the return trip would be £76.41. If split equally that's only £15.28 per person. 

It's also not quicker. Both train and car take about 4 hours (Sheffield to Dumfries), but with train that doesn't include the time is takes getting to the station, so that would actually be slower.. 

Edited by Robin-H

10 hours ago, vwkittie said:

My other half and I were considering going up to Scotland on the train recently and the train fare for two people was astronomical, miles cheaper to drive (although we decided to just not bother in the end!)

Try https://www.splitticketing.com/    amazing what you can get!

I can see you haven't driven if you think its not quicker by train. Don't forget to add on toilet, food and driver comfort breaks. On to that add on getting stuck behind slow moving traffic in areas you can't overtake. Trust me, train is often a couple of hours quicker and you can work or read on the train. If you buy a first class ticket you have space and walk around. Food and drink is included in the ticket price. This actually makes it cheaper than cattle class as my husband calls it. He sometimes used to have to go cattle class but by the time his expenses had been paid for food and drink while travelling it was false economy. You are  much more refreshed and ready to do what you have gone to do if going by train rather than by car, even if you are used to driving 250-300 miles a day regularly. 

On 18/10/2019 at 20:32, Litotes said:

Try https://www.splitticketing.com/    amazing what you can get!

Certainly value for money if you use a rail card,which i do and have been using splitticketing for several yrs now. Only down side is you get 2 tickets for each leg of the journey.Travelled up to Edinburgh last month from Sheffield with the Mrs and ended up with 18 tickets between both of us. 

18 hours ago, scottcross said:

Certainly value for money if you use a rail card,which i do and have been using splitticketing for several yrs now. Only down side is you get 2 tickets for each leg of the journey.Travelled up to Edinburgh last month from Sheffield with the Mrs and ended up with 18 tickets between both of us. 

My husband used to go from Doncaster rather than Sheffield, its about the same distance or time to either station from our house.  He seemed to think it was a better choice (for him). I realise it may not be convenient from some areas of Sheffield to travel to Doncaster station.