Low Bradfield- Old Water Works

What is happening at the old water works at low Bradfield anybody know?

I know that planning Permission for studio flats and a landscaped area was rejected a couple of years back.

Not a lot I don't think - can't see any planning applications in for it. It's a shame as it's a horrible eye sore at the moment and seems like a terrible waste.

6 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

Not a lot I don't think - can't see any planning applications in for it. It's a shame as it's a horrible eye sore at the moment and seems like a terrible waste.

The problem is that what made it a water works was the pumping equipment.

Most of this has now been stolen for scrap. Without this it is just another old building with broken windows. I believe that at some point there was an application for listing with funding to secure and renovate the building, but this was turned down on the grounds that there was so little of the original pump and filtration equipment left that it could no longer be considered to be of historic value.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The problem is that what made it a water works was the pumping equipment.

Most of this has now been stolen for scrap. Without this it is just another old building with broken windows. I believe that at some point there was an application for listing with funding to secure and renovate the building, but this was turned down on the grounds that there was so little of the original pump and filtration equipment left that it could no longer be considered to be of historic value.

That's a shame really but if there's no historic value then surely converting it in to flats for people to live in would be better than the current mess.

I think I saw a pumping station transformed in to a home on one of those restoration TV shows a while back, they did a good job.

16 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

That's a shame really but if there's no historic value then surely converting it in to flats for people to live in would be better than the current mess.

I think I saw a pumping station transformed in to a home on one of those restoration TV shows a while back, they did a good job.

An early Grand Designs just over the border near chesterfield https://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2014/01/18/grand-design-for-sale-the-water-works-four-bedroom-property-in-chesterfield-derbyshire/

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

That was a brilliant one, wasn't it?  The work they put into that renovation was so impressive. Still one of the best episodes, all these years later.

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yes that was the one I was thinking of! Imagine something like that in the gorgeous setting of Low Bradfield!

17 minutes ago, Auction_Gall said:

Fascinating - my other half and I had a look at that place a few years back. It was all boarded up then though so we could only see it from the outside, fantasising about what we'd do with it if we had the money!  Definitely another one ripe for a Grand Designs!

At last! - work going on here after about 20+ years of neglect. Just the other big old ex-children's home on Mortimer Road to sort out now!

51 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

At last! - work going on here after about 20+ years of neglect. Just the other big old ex-children's home on Mortimer Road to sort out now!

Are they both owned by the Haigh family though?

I'm sure the place on Mortimer Road is being left to mysteriously catch fire one dark evening.