Incident At Arndale Shopping Centre Manchester

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

No one had knives years ago. 

You obviously didn’t live in Glasgow in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Think knuckle dusters were the order of the day back then.

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Or anywhere. This city produced hundreds of thousands of pocket knives, if not millions, and they were used daily. And by used I don't mean stuck between someone's shoulder blades. I'd suggest knife carrying has gone down and stabbing has gone up.

My uncle bought me a pocket knife for my birthday, I'd have been about 10 or 11. If I had done the same for my nephew now my sister would have gone nuts!

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Frankie Vaughan sorted that out.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Think knuckle dusters were the order of the day back then.

Back in the 70's in pub brawls I remember broken beer glasses (a lad I went to school with was killed by a broken glass to the throat), bottles - those big glass ash trays were thrown and pub chairs and bar stools were used for hitting people with. Also remember two women fighting taking off their shoes and using stiletto heels as weapons.

It's no good comparing the concerns of knife crime today with the past, there is an existing problem that the authorities and some communities are struggling to deal with, London being the prime example:

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04304

I'm not sure if the incident in Manchester is typical though, multiple random stabbings like that do tend to bear the hallmarks of terrorism or the actions of an extreme nutcase IMHO !

8 hours ago, Michael_W said:

multiple random stabbings like that do tend to bear the hallmarks of terrorism or the actions of an extreme nutcase IMHO !

Given that the perp has been detained under the Mental Health Act I suspect that it is the latter.

One might say that every terrorist is mentally unstable. Yep, re-label terrorism to mental health issue, problem with terrorism solved. 🙄

3 hours ago, Branyy said:

One might say that every terrorist is mentally unstable. Yep, re-label terrorism to mental health issue, problem with terrorism solved. 🙄

One might, but one would be very wrong.

8 hours ago, Branyy said:

That would depend on what theIr aim is.

I have seen a couple of features on Kurdish militias who were fighting Isis in Syria and Northern Iraq including many overseas and women fighters, and I would say that they were anything but mentally unstable.

On 14/10/2019 at 07:50, Halibut said:

One might, but one would be very wrong.

Do you think it's possible that someone with good mental health could commit atrocities on strangers?  (Providing they weren't being forced to do so.)

3 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Do you think it's possible that someone with good mental health could commit atrocities on strangers?  (Providing they weren't being forced to do so.)

Yes, absolutely. Think about WW2 bomber crews for example.