Incident At Arndale Shopping Centre Manchester

Reports of 5 stabbings and the centre has been evacuated, not a lot of information other than a man in his 40s has been arrested. Something has got to be done to stop all these stabbings, you don't see a day go by without reading someone has been stabbed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50014205

Edited by iansheff

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Reports of 5 stabbings and the centre has been evacuated, not a lot of information other than a man in his 40s has been arrested. Something has got to be done to stop all these stabbings, you don't see a day go by without reading someone has been stabbed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50014205

Yes, it’s getting worse. No one had knives years ago. If there was an argument or fight people used their fists.!

At the age of 11 I had (and still have ) a sheath knife purchased from the Scout shop on Trippet Lane.

It was part of the regalia.

What we did not have was a street drug culture which has led to the normalising of assaults using knives and other weapons.

Pandoras Box is open and I can see no solution other than to decriminalise some of the less harmful drugs.

I think we should look closer at motivation behind these attacks.

34 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Yes, it’s getting worse. No one had knives years ago. If there was an argument or fight people used their fists.!

There never use to be random attacks which is what this incident appears to be.  At least our gun laws are strict which means incidents that happen in our country are not as bad as what happens in the USA.  All very sad and a sign of the times.

15 minutes ago, Branyy said:

I think we should look closer at motivation behind these attacks.

Social Media hasn't helped.

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

No one had knives years ago

yes they did.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

What we did not have was a street drug culture

yes we did.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

There never use to be random attacks which is what this incident appears to be. 

yes there was

12 minutes ago, melthebell said:

yes they did.

yes we did.

yes there was

Agree.

It's just documented a lot more now as everyone has a phone- click and send, upload etc

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, and us men used our handbags.

25 minutes ago, melthebell said:

yes they did.

yes we did.

yes there was

There is little evidence that knife crime has increased over the last twenty years.

19 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Ten charts on the rise of knife crime in England and Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42749089

Thanks.

I should have said that it has clearly risen in the last four or five years. 

The longer term  trend isn’t so clear. Possibly because it hasn’t risen, possibly because of poor record keeping.

7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Thanks.

I should have said that it has clearly risen in the last four or five years. 

The longer term  trend isn’t so clear. Possibly because it hasn’t risen, possibly because of poor record keeping.

You're most welcome. The most disturbing statistic is that the number of homicides/murders using knives has more than doubled in the last forty years.  I agree record keeping has improved over the years.