Student's Union Anti-Racism Meeting, Whites Not Permitted

How nice to read reasoned opinion about a delicate subject without any nasty remarks.

its the way students unions are going its not the first time and wont be the last its racist but  the leftys wont say that  

Edited by ormester

14 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

I consider myself to be a fairly balanced person when it comes to politics and ideals.

When I read about the following I felt it should be discussed, as I am interested in other peoples' opinions on such matters in this age of ever morphing societal values and principles.

The Sheffield Students' Union is holding meetings next Monday (14/10/19) to discuss how  they can "create an anti-racist Students’ Union".

From the web page here "Please note that these sessions are only open to black and minority ethnic (BME) students." 

While it doesn't specifically state it, this effectively only excludes white people, which (like it or not) is racial discrimination.

Yes, white privilege can be a thing and yes, most racism is from white people. Racism against white people is also a thing though, and so is discrimination.

By excluding a racial demographic from this meeting they are not building any bridges, quite the opposite, it is causing a division (intentional or not).

It's like holding a meeting to tackle domestic violence but only permitting women to attend.

In their own words, "A Bit Racist Is Still Racist"

EDIT: I realise this is sensitive subject matter and would prefer if certain people didn't just use it as a platform to vent their own racist views, thus getting the thread locked/removed. To those people, I am not your ally or sympathiser.

It doesnt say whites are not allowed , it says black and ethnic minorities only ...

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, ormester said:

its the way students unions are going its not the first time and wont be the last its racist but  the leftys wont say that  

It’s not racist - do you know what racism is? google the definition and see if it applies here.

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s not racist - do you know what racism is? google the definition and see if it applies here.

Umm, sure it is, exactly by definition.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Branyy said:

Umm, sure it is, exactly by definition.

It’s no more “racist” than maybe saying only women can attend a meeting to discuss say “sexual harassment of women” is sexist.

Theyre not discriminating or showing prejudice - they are not expressing opinions of superiority over other races.

i don’t agree with it mind - I think it would be better if anyone could attend but I don’t think it’s a racism issue at a all.

showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.
"we are investigating complaints about racist abuse at a newsagents"

Noun 
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
"I had a fear of being called a racist"

Edited by makapaka

10 hours ago, Velo77 said:

It doesnt say whites are not allowed , it says black and ethnic minorities only ...

If you had read my post you would have noticed that I acknowledged this. 

From the web page here "Please note that these sessions are only open to black and minority ethnic (BME) students." 

While it doesn't specifically state it, this effectively only excludes white people, which (like it or not) is racial discrimination.

In your opinion,  how many races/ethnicities are excluded?

2 hours ago, makapaka said:
It’s no more “racist” than maybe saying only women can attend a meeting to discuss say “sexual harassment of women” is sexist.

Theyre not discriminating or showing prejudice - they are not expressing opinions of superiority over other races.

i don’t agree with it mind - I think it would be better if anyone could attend but I don’t think it’s a racism issue at a all.

showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.
"we are investigating complaints about racist abuse at a newsagents"

Noun 
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
"I had a fear of being called a racist"

Your comparison is not like for like, if the meeting was about racism against minorities only,  then you might have a point. 

By excluding any racial demographic it is racial discrimination. The fact that the meeting is about stopping racism adds a very ferrous tinge to the whole thing. 

Edited by RootsBooster

It's the way of the world today it seems; no one wants to hear alternative viewpoints, they just want an echo chamber to solidify their own views to the point that views outside of the echo chamber are intolerable and offensive. 

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

It's the way of the world today it seems; no one wants to hear alternative viewpoints

Such as?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Such as?

Views about racism from white people perhaps?

The most important thing is Free Pizza is being provided at the meeting according to the wedsite.

Happy Days 

Just read through all the posts. 

Quite interesting but it has struck me. 

Does it really effect any of us on here?  Are any of us actually Sheffield Uni Students?  If you are, then no good complaining on SF.  Take your concerns to Sheffield Uni. 

I remember when I was a student.  My politics were to the Left of Marx.  I wanted to change the world for the better of everyone. 

Having graduated, got a job, good salary, house & family to look after & realised my  position in the world, my primary concern & ensure I did the best for my kids & now try to help grandkids achieve their full potential & not be dragged down by some of the flotsam & jetsam that floats by, my politics are just to the Right of Ghengis Khan. 

More that likely, the meeting has been organised by a tiny few like minded individuals who are less interested in changing things but more interested in saying they tried to change things & posting how 'important' they feel they are on their Facebook & Instagram accounts, while pouting in their selfies.