Buying Stolen Goods With A Cc?

When buying stolen goods (without knowing they're stolen); would having bought them with a credit card afford the purchaser any protection, should those goods be recovered by the police and returned to their rightful owner?

I know people do get a certain level of cover when buying things with a CC, does that also extend to the purchase of hot property?

I'd expect not; but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'd expect not; but does anyone know for sure?

I’d tend to agree with you however I have been surprised over the years what extra protections credit cards can give you. 

Legally I would say that the ‘seller’ had no title to the goods being sold therefore no transaction (legal, anyway) had taken place. If however, the money could be recovered from the thief’s account, I’m pretty sure the CC company would refund you.

Thanks Top Cats Hat.

I’m asking out of curiosity. Just seen (on YT) police recover a stolen trailer some guys bought off eBay. They very much looked like innocent victims (had receipts and paperwork) and stand to be out of pocket to the tune of 2k.

Apparently there is a lot of this (selling stolen stuff) on eBay. So a broader more relevant question would be what steps can people take to avoid getting burned in this way? Buying with a CC was my first inclination (though not sure that would help at all).

Edited by Waldo

20 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Apparently there is a lot of this (selling stolen stuff) on eBay. So a broader more relevant question would be what steps can people take to avoid getting burned in this way? Buying with a CC was my first inclination (though not sure that would help at all).

Don’t quote me on this but I heard somewhere that Paypal will protect you from buying stolen goods. That wouldn’t surprise me as I’ve had a couple of eBay incidents where sellers have shaped up tricky and Paypal have refunded my dough before the eBay dispute process has even been completed.

Buying from eBay and paying with PayPal is fully protected.  

I bought a new item from e  Bay   that did not work. I concluded that it was either a manufacturing fault OR a fake. I informed PayPal and got a full refund  from PP.

PayPal every time where ever it is offered.