Poor Fuel Wordsworth Ave Petrol Station

Put fuel in at wordsworth petrol station near Asda's last week within 5 mins my car was worse than a old diesel exhaust was pinking was hesitating at junctions basically it was like a dog run fuel out of it filled up else where never been a problem since anyone else had similar issues with fuel 

15 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

Put fuel in at wordsworth petrol station near Asda's last week within 5 mins my car was worse than a old diesel exhaust was pinking was hesitating at junctions basically it was like a dog run fuel out of it filled up else where never been a problem since anyone else had similar issues with fuel 

Exhaust’s don’t pink. If your engine was pinking it would still have been pinking after you changed the fuel as it has nothing to do with the fuel quality. If the engine was hesitating it was most likely to be down to fuel starvation caused by some kind of blockage.

Most ‘bad fuel’ incidents which miraculously cure after changing the fuel are down to crap in the bottom of your fuel tank. 😉

It can pink if it's not burning fuel right according to rac I'm no mechanic but seem strange it started as I left petrol station carried on till it was nearly empty and I put in £40 of high octane fuel never done it since don't trust car at moment went go far just was hoping someone else had an issue last week

3 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

It can pink if it's not burning fuel right according to rac

That's correct - pinking (also known as knocking & pre-ignition) is caused when the fuel / air mixture in the cylinders is detonated too early.

When I started driving (early 1980s) the cause was usually incorrect ignition timing (spark too early before the piston was in the optimum position within the cylinder) or sometimes excessive carbon build up inside the combustion chambers, which raised the compression ratio & could cause "dieseling" where the petrol / air mixture ignited on compression - as with a diesel engine - instead of being ignited by the spark generated by the spark plug.

Pinking can also be the result of poor fuel, although because modern engine management systems are so complex that's a rarity these days because they automatically adjust the spark timing & the fuel / air ratio to avoid pre-ignition.

Edited by GleadlessLad

8 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

Pinking can also be the result of poor fuel,

Not for the past 40 years.

Unless the petrol station on Wordsworth Avenue is buying its fuel from Pakistan, it will comply with BS EN 228 which will not cause pre-ignition in any properly set up car.

Are u saying no petrol station sells contaminated fuel been plenty of stories on news about it 

15 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

Are u saying no petrol station sells contaminated fuel been plenty of stories on news about it 

I’m not saying that there isn’t contaminated fuel around but it is extremely rare. Plenty of stories in the news does not equate to plenty of occurrences in real life.

The biggest contaminant in petrol is water, and that is usually in such tiny amounts that it will be either burned or trapped in the filter.

If I put petrol in have no problems going to petrol station within 5 mins of putting it in I have all these issues that now are resolved with new fuel to me that says contaminated fuel I have a 2011 Hyundai i20 with 35k on clock not some old banger I can't come to any other conclusion 

7 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

If I put petrol in have no problems going to petrol station within 5 mins of putting it in I have all these issues that now are resolved with new fuel to me that says contaminated fuel 

I agree. As I said earlier, it is most likely contamination from your own fuel tank. What did the petrol station say when you went back?

Just denied any problems rac is convinced its contaminated fuel they had an issue last year from same station 

3 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

rac is convinced its contaminated fuel 

When did the RAC test the fuel?