Jump to content

Jackdaw Knocking On Window.

Recommended Posts

Every morning when Im in bed, a jackdaw pecks at my bedroom window. When I pull the curtain slightly back it flies off.  I do feed the birds numerous times a day, so am wondering, is this jackdaw pecking for me to get up and feed him, or is he pecking at his reflection ? Any wildlife experts out there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi pattricia,i'm sure that jackdaws and crows are territorial ,so it will think it's reflection is a threat and will try to attack it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bothamlad said:

Hi pattricia,i'm sure that jackdaws and crows are territorial ,so it will think it's reflection is a threat and will try to attack it.

Thank you. That’s very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Thank you. That’s very interesting.

If you are able to place things in the window,different shapes of card or paper,that could do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bothamlad said:

If you are able to place things in the window,different shapes of card or paper,that could do the trick.

Do you mean so that the Jackdaw can’t sees its reflection ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 50 years ago we used to visit an aunty who lived in a country cottage in Cutthorpe Chesterfield.  She had all sorts of wildlife come into her garden but one bird which visited every day really fascinated us.  It was a Jackdaw and it could talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, francypants said:

Over 50 years ago we used to visit an aunty who lived in a country cottage in Cutthorpe Chesterfield.  She had all sorts of wildlife come into her garden but one bird which visited every day really fascinated us.  It was a Jackdaw and it could talk.

When I was a lad (ha ha) 14/15 yrs, old.  one of my pals about 3 doors away rescued a baby Jackdaw, and kept it as a pet..

He became a star on our road because everywhere he went it used to sit on his shoulder, and he taught it to talk..

Apparently they are very intelligent, however some miserable neighbours used to complain that it was pinching items of jewellery from their bedrooms, keep your window closed Trish..

Kids today seem to have a mobile phone on their shoulders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had magpies at my patio door knocking on the glass. They have also been on my recently painted railings, I have noticed the paint has gone on the edges of the handrail, which I assume is where they have been running their beak side to side, I saw one doing it on the frame of my neighbours black garden swing.  

One summer years ago I used to get woken about 6am by a blackbird that was pecking at it's own reflection in my Vauxhall Cavaliers shiny hubcaps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Padders said:

When I was a lad (ha ha) 14/15 yrs, old.  one of my pals about 3 doors away rescued a baby Jackdaw, and kept it as a pet..

He became a star on our road because everywhere he went it used to sit on his shoulder, and he taught it to talk..

Apparently they are very intelligent, however some miserable neighbours used to complain that it was pinching items of jewellery from their bedrooms, keep your window closed Trish..

Kids today seem to have a mobile phone on their shoulders.

According to family legend, my grandfather had a pet jackdaw that would hop along the rooftops following him to the pub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pattricia said:

Every morning when Im in bed, a jackdaw pecks at my bedroom window. When I pull the curtain slightly back it flies off.  I do feed the birds numerous times a day, so am wondering, is this jackdaw pecking for me to get up and feed him, or is he pecking at his reflection ? Any wildlife experts out there? 

Jackdaw ' knockin' at the window

Jackdaw 'ringin' the bell

Do him a favour 

Open the door and  'let him in'

🦅😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have the same thing during the summer, with blue tits and chaffinches "attacking" the window.

As others have said, it's usually territorial...or sometimes they're after a mate! (Woo-hoo!)

That said, I remember one old boy in our local coming out with a similar story, when a jay was spotted doing the same, balancing on a window recess and really having a go at the glass.

"Mark my words", he said, "no good will come of it. Death in the family...." etc., etc.

He was right, too.

 

 

(Mind you, it was about 4 years later!)

Edited by RiffRaff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard that the Hillsboro Tree Penguins can be a bit of a nuisance at this time of the year.

Trish doe's live in that locality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.