Charles Street And Surrounding Area Demolition Shock!

Back on topic please.

Edited by nikki-red

the plan for the work can be found here :

https://www.heartofcity2.com/masterplan/

and in the FAQ's :

Will any historic buildings be retained?

During the 2015 masterplan consultation, many people expressed a preference to retain as many of the historic buildings within the site as possible. Historic buildings are seen as critical to retaining the character of this part of the city centre and creating a scheme that is genuinely unique.

The updated masterplan has taken this feedback seriously. Rather than create new streets, the scheme will follow existing street patterns – important in enabling the retention of more of the existing heritage and to better integrate the new scheme with existing shopping areas. The masterplan includes the retention of the Pinstone Street frontages, with a new vision to bring them back to their former glory. It also includes the retention of Leah’s Yard located on the historically significant Cambridge Street.

On 08/10/2019 at 17:41, Planner1 said:

The road planners here use the same measures as they do in all significant towns and cities. They use traffic management measures to deter through traffic, in order to make the city centre a more pleasant place to be.

When city centre parking was free on Sundays, all the most convenient parking spaces got taken up by the people who work in the shops, or overnight visitors,  because they arrive before the shoppers. Introducing a charge encourages them to park further out, where it is free on Sundays.

Perhaps you should ask the people who live in and do business in the areas around the edges of the city centre what they think of the permit parking and pay and display arrangements. Those people are literally begging the Council to introduce more of these zones due to all day commuter parking clogging those areas and making life difficult for residents and businesses.

All areas of government and local government policy are pointing to the need to reduce car use, so expect to see more restrictions, not less.

The Council do allow businesses to have seating areas in the street if it is an appropriate place for it. There are lots of places in the city centre where this happens.

Interestingly, there is a city centre Business Improvement District (BID) where the businesses work together with the Council to improve things. It has a budget of around £1 million a year if I recall correctly. They can use it any way they like, they could subsidise parking prices if they thought it would help. They don’t. However they have mounted a publicity campaign advertising how cheap parking is in Sheffield.

CPZ’s are just a self-perpetuating cash-cow. Parking Services operate a racketeer which charges motorists for roads they’ve already paid for.

You reduce car usage with integrated, reliable, safe and cheap or free at point of use public transport. Along with segregated cycle paths and associated infrastructure, not by fleecing motorists.

Sheffield Council planning are an absolute shambles, I know this town has suffered more than most, but the council should be grateful anyone is willing to visit its centre.  If anything the council should be paying motoristst to park there.

23 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Ever stop to engage your brain and think why that might be exactly.

Why on earth could it be that a major city centre doesn't offer free parking.   Jesus christ its such a dumb comparison.

A city centre is more than just shops. 

Sheffield needs all the help it can get, it is not major, and shouldn't be called a city.  Even small towns like Luton put it to shame.

On 08/10/2019 at 19:40, ECCOnoob said:

Oh Joy.   Another one of 'these' threads. 

Same old whinging.  Same old pointless complaints all over again.

Waaaa.  Why should we have to pay for parking   [...in the middle of a major city]

Waaaa.   How dare there knock down that precious historical building which I loved  [....which has been a crumbling wreck for decades]

Waaaa.  Why did they have to redevelop things  [.....I dont like change]

Waaaa.  I hate the New Market  [Yeah.... cos castle market was a paradise right?]

Waaaa.   Meadowhall is so much better   [Yes, as a sole purpose shopping centre.  It offers sod all else which the actual city centre does.]

Waaaa.  I want the hole in the road back   [....Along with the druggies, muggers and graffiti artists]

Waaaa.   The council are so stupid  [.....but I still vote for them time after time]

Good to read Sheffield Planning Dept respects the concerns and wishes of its residents. 

On 08/10/2019 at 21:00, makapaka said:

Because it’s creating a massive improvement - people have bemoaned the lack of investment in the city centre for years and now we’re getting it people are still moaning.

the moor area is as good as I’ve known it in my lifetime and I can remember back to the early 80’s.

The council tried to polish a turd like The Moor then demolish a splendid Tudor and Victorian block which you call a success?

Edited by 26b-6

6 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Good to read Sheffield Planning Dept respects the concerns and wishes of its residents. 

The council tried to polish a turd like The Moor then demolish a splendid Tudor and Victorian block which you call a success?

Tudor?

Fake Tudor.

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

The Victoria block facade is being retained. 

The Tudor block wasn’t Tudor - it was an old pub clad in wood and painted black and white with a an empty shop unit in it at ground floor level.

The council haven’t tried to polish a turd like the moor - they moved the market there and a private developer has invested money which has led to new shops restaurants cinemas bowling alleys etc to open on there. 

It it has improved massively.

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Tudor?

Fake Tudor.

Exactly - people just can’t be bothered to find out facts these days.