Charles Street And Surrounding Area Demolition Shock!

14 minutes ago, Reesh2052 said:

Agent Orange..you don't get the point....it was free until a couple of years ago. I don't think it is a lot to pay either, however if you are only parked for 5 minutes it costs £2 too!

And when it was free the city wasn't so popular with city living etc.  Imagine if all those spaces were suddenly free once more, you'd have half of the city centre residents (a lot of apartments do not have parking/or parking space is rented on most developments) parking their cars there all day, depriving you of a free space.  And I bet you would then be moaning about the lack of parking available.

Anyhow, we are off subject here.  This is about the new development, not parking.

3 hours ago, Reesh2052 said:

I actually like the Moor and hopefully it will improve ten fold in the next few years but the Council need to make it easier to access by car

How would they make it any easier to access by car?

Come in from the ring road along Carter Row or Eyre St and pick from the four multi-storey car parks which are immediately adjacent to the Moor, or park on street close by.

How much easier do you want it?

3 hours ago, Reesh2052 said:

Totally agree Baron. The road planners in this City couldn't plan a traffic route on a straight road. Until this is sorted there is no hope of things improving. The charge for car parking on Sunday was non-existent,  then it went up to £1 all day, then £2 all day. I know this is a smallish charge but why is it necessary, l love shopping in town on a Sunday as it is quieter , but again greed is rearing its ugly head. All the side streets slightly out of the centre are now covered with Meters, it's shameful. Surely the Council should be encouraging people into the City Centre to shop, eat, drink, browse, relax and spend money but no they force you to drive into the city due to poor public transport, then restrict retailers from doing things to promote their businesses (e.g. tables and chairs on the street) and force you to pay restrictive car parking charges.

The road planners here use the same measures as they do in all significant towns and cities. They use traffic management measures to deter through traffic, in order to make the city centre a more pleasant place to be.

When city centre parking was free on Sundays, all the most convenient parking spaces got taken up by the people who work in the shops, or overnight visitors,  because they arrive before the shoppers. Introducing a charge encourages them to park further out, where it is free on Sundays.

Perhaps you should ask the people who live in and do business in the areas around the edges of the city centre what they think of the permit parking and pay and display arrangements. Those people are literally begging the Council to introduce more of these zones due to all day commuter parking clogging those areas and making life difficult for residents and businesses.

All areas of government and local government policy are pointing to the need to reduce car use, so expect to see more restrictions, not less.

The Council do allow businesses to have seating areas in the street if it is an appropriate place for it. There are lots of places in the city centre where this happens.

Interestingly, there is a city centre Business Improvement District (BID) where the businesses work together with the Council to improve things. It has a budget of around £1 million a year if I recall correctly. They can use it any way they like, they could subsidise parking prices if they thought it would help. They don’t. However they have mounted a publicity campaign advertising how cheap parking is in Sheffield.

Edited by Planner1

2 hours ago, avalunche said:

Its not an accident. They totally do it on purpose.  They hate cars, always have, always will.  And every change they make, makes things worse.

All of the councillors that I know drive cars.

So, I doubt that they hate them.

However, road space and parking space are both finite. They need managing, which is what the council try to do. No doubt they could do better, but I find Sheffield city centre easy enough to access by car, or by public transport. 

Oh Joy.   Another one of 'these' threads. 

Same old whinging.  Same old pointless complaints all over again.

Waaaa.  Why should we have to pay for parking   [...in the middle of a major city]

Waaaa.   How dare there knock down that precious historical building which I loved  [....which has been a crumbling wreck for decades]

Waaaa.  Why did they have to redevelop things  [.....I dont like change]

Waaaa.  I hate the New Market  [Yeah.... cos castle market was a paradise right?]

Waaaa.   Meadowhall is so much better   [Yes, as a sole purpose shopping centre.  It offers sod all else which the actual city centre does.]

Waaaa.  I want the hole in the road back   [....Along with the druggies, muggers and graffiti artists]

Waaaa.   The council are so stupid  [.....but I still vote for them time after time]

Edited by ECCOnoob

My son and his partner visited from America last month and we went round the city centre with them....I am Sheffield through and through but found myself embarrassed by the state of my own city. Few buildings with any history, historic buildings being demolished and soulless glass and concrete in their place.

Guest makapaka
16 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Sheffield City centre is on life support and has little to no character.  I don't visit Sheffield City centre unless it's an absolute necessity.   A few days back was one of these unfortunate rare occasions.  But was shocked to see that Tudor style building on Charles Street and others in its vicinity been demolished.   Whom approved this and why was there no backlash?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pinstone+St,+Sheffield/@53.3789051,-1.4711046,3a,75y,5.23h,111.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVmq9Q_UP7RZSLk_OZk5-aQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487982819af83d53:0xf5964a5c5791489b!8m2!3d53.3791901!4d-1.4706147

Because it’s creating a massive improvement - people have bemoaned the lack of investment in the city centre for years and now we’re getting it people are still moaning.

the moor area is as good as I’ve known it in my lifetime and I can remember back to the early 80’s.

1 hour ago, wornout53 said:

My son and his partner visited from America last month and we went round the city centre with them....I am Sheffield through and through but found myself embarrassed by the state of my own city. Few buildings with any history, historic buildings being demolished and soulless glass and concrete in their place.

The city centre is currently going through an extensive transformation - much needed investment is finally taking place and the centre is changing for the better.  As for finding few buildings with any history, clearly you don't know your city too well.  There's an abundance of historic buildings within the city centre.  What historic buildings are/have been demolished?

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The road planners here use the same measures as they do in all significant towns and cities. They use traffic management measures to deter through traffic, in order to make the city centre a more pleasant place to be.

When city centre parking was free on Sundays, all the most convenient parking spaces got taken up by the people who work in the shops, or overnight visitors,  because they arrive before the shoppers. Introducing a charge encourages them to park further out, where it is free on Sundays.

Perhaps you should ask the people who live in and do business in the areas around the edges of the city centre what they think of the permit parking and pay and display arrangements. Those people are literally begging the Council to introduce more of these zones due to all day commuter parking clogging those areas and making life difficult for residents and businesses.

All areas of government and local government policy are pointing to the need to reduce car use, so expect to see more restrictions, not less.

The Council do allow businesses to have seating areas in the street if it is an appropriate place for it. There are lots of places in the city centre where this happens.

Interestingly, there is a city centre Business Improvement District (BID) where the businesses work together with the Council to improve things. It has a budget of around £1 million a year if I recall correctly. They can use it any way they like, they could subsidise parking prices if they thought it would help. They don’t. However they have mounted a publicity campaign advertising how cheap parking is in Sheffield.

Expect to see more and more people using out of town shopping centres and retail parks then , where motorists are welcomed and given free parking. This is the 21st century , the car is the main mode of transport . Its about time councils realised this and catered for the majority ,ie Motorists . 

We went to the theatre the other night, in Sheffield, parked right outside, for free.

How much more convenient does it have to be before we stop whining about the war on the motorist?

21 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Expect to see more and more people using out of town shopping centres and retail parks then , where motorists are welcomed and given free parking. This is the 21st century , the car is the main mode of transport . Its about time councils realised this and catered for the majority ,ie Motorists . 

The world spends countless billions catering for motorists, this council included.

2 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Ever stop to engage your brain and think why that might be exactly.

Why on earth could it be that a major city centre doesn't offer free parking.   Jesus christ its such a dumb comparison.

A city centre is more than just shops. 

Edited by ECCOnoob