Jump to content

Charles Street And Surrounding Area Demolition Shock!


26b-6

Recommended Posts

Sheffield City centre is on life support and has little to no character.  I don't visit Sheffield City centre unless it's an absolute necessity.   A few days back was one of these unfortunate rare occasions.  But was shocked to see that Tudor style building on Charles Street and others in its vicinity been demolished.   Whom approved this and why was there no backlash?

 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pinstone+St,+Sheffield/@53.3789051,-1.4711046,3a,75y,5.23h,111.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVmq9Q_UP7RZSLk_OZk5-aQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487982819af83d53:0xf5964a5c5791489b!8m2!3d53.3791901!4d-1.4706147

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

There was a backlash but the council just ignore us,  the present clowns in the town hall have ruined Sheffield , the Moor is terrible as is the Market, it's not a patch on the old Market.

I'm not that keen on the new market either, however it is clean, has bright lighting and doesn't seem as full of scruffy or druggie types that frequented the Castle Market. When l was young in the 70's Castle Market and Sheaf Market were great places to go every Saturday....move forward into the 2000's and not only was the Castle Market filthy but 80% of the shops had closed, the other 20% were nearly all "fashion" shops selling expensive crap clothing. The place was full of beggars, druggies and scruffs, the Haymarket outside was full of dealers, prostitutes and "so-called" homeless people making it a place to avoid.

I totally agree the City Centre is unattractive but when Meadowhall and all the other out of town centres opened and are still opening with FREE parking, accessibility and less grief the City will never compete. I do actually like town to shop because it is less crowded but until this crazy bunch running the City get to grips as to why the City centre is declining then unfortunately we will continue too see building going up that won't have tenants.

On another note the Council have "frozen" out the Sleigh Bar this year due to charging extortionate rent and rates, again this will have a negative impact but the Cabinet can only see to the end of their noses, not the bigger picture!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reesh2052 said:

I'm not that keen on the new market either, however it is clean, has bright lighting and doesn't seem as full of scruffy or druggie types that frequented the Castle Market. When l was young in the 70's Castle Market and Sheaf Market were great places to go every Saturday....move forward into the 2000's and not only was the Castle Market filthy but 80% of the shops had closed, the other 20% were nearly all "fashion" shops selling expensive crap clothing. The place was full of beggars, druggies and scruffs, the Haymarket outside was full of dealers, prostitutes and "so-called" homeless people making it a place to avoid.

I totally agree the City Centre is unattractive but when Meadowhall and all the other out of town centres opened and are still opening with FREE parking, accessibility and less grief the City will never compete. I do actually like town to shop because it is less crowded but until this crazy bunch running the City get to grips as to why the City centre is declining then unfortunately we will continue too see building going up that won't have tenants.

On another note the Council have "frozen" out the Sleigh Bar this year due to charging extortionate rent and rates, again this will have a negative impact but the Cabinet can only see to the end of their noses, not the bigger picture!

The Moor is not declining. On the contrary, footfall has increased. 

The loss of a building with fake Tudor timbering isn't much of a loss IMO.

The sleigh bar was a ratty temporary bar, and something new is appearing in that location at Xmas, last I heard.

Fully agree on the revolting, unwelcoming state of the old castle and sheaf markets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reesh2052 said:

Meadowhall and all the other out of town centres opened and are still opening with FREE parking, accessibility and less grief the City will never compete.

Meadowhall : you park outside, and walk in. Anything you buy you have carry around and out, or get delivered.

 

If we ask people to do the same thing with city centre shopping, their heads explode.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually like the Moor and hopefully it will improve ten fold in the next few years but the Council need to make it easier to access by car...unfortunately our tram system is poor and doesn't go to the Moor or other areas we'd have liked it to go. Our bus services are slow, expensive and unreliable and so the only alternative is to use a car to access the City. If the Council allowed free parking on a Saturday for 2 hours or so at a time then people can get their shopping done in the city centre. The only draw back to having free parking on a Saturday for longer would be that it would encourage more people to bring their cars into the City Centre on football match days. Free parking is the key plus better shops, bars and restaurants that are free to use outside space if possible to give a more cosmopolitan experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

The Moor is not declining. On the contrary, footfall has increased. 

The loss of a building with fake Tudor timbering isn't much of a loss IMO.

The sleigh bar was a ratty temporary bar, and something new is appearing in that location at Xmas, last I heard.

Fully agree on the revolting, unwelcoming state of the old castle and sheaf markets.

The only reason footfall has increased is because of the nearly total shutdown of the old market area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Reesh2052 said:

I actually like the Moor and hopefully it will improve ten fold in the next few years but the Council need to make it easier to access by car...unfortunately our tram system is poor and doesn't go to the Moor or other areas we'd have liked it to go. Our bus services are slow, expensive and unreliable and so the only alternative is to use a car to access the City. If the Council allowed free parking on a Saturday for 2 hours or so at a time then people can get their shopping done in the city centre. The only draw back to having free parking on a Saturday for longer would be that it would encourage more people to bring their cars into the City Centre on football match days. Free parking is the key plus better shops, bars and restaurants that are free to use outside space if possible to give a more cosmopolitan experience.

And there's the problem.  Lack of forward planning now means where Sheffield had its main tram stops, Commercial St., Castle Square & the Cathedral to serve the nearby shops at the old Castle Market, High St & Fargate, those retail outlets have now either been demolished or are in the process of relocation to The Moor area.  

 

Driving around the city centre & even traveling by public transport is a nightmare, especially at peak times due to the poor road layout with one ways & blocked access of certain roads causing tailbacks, (even on roads only used by public transport), due to the excessive number of traffic lights & deliberately created pinch points & what should be a ring road is non-existent. 

 

Parking is at a premium. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally agree Baron. The road planners in this City couldn't plan a traffic route on a straight road. Until this is sorted there is no hope of things improving. The charge for car parking on Sunday was non-existent,  then it went up to £1 all day, then £2 all day. I know this is a smallish charge but why is it necessary, l love shopping in town on a Sunday as it is quieter , but again greed is rearing its ugly head. All the side streets slightly out of the centre are now covered with Meters, it's shameful. Surely the Council should be encouraging people into the City Centre to shop, eat, drink, browse, relax and spend money but no they force you to drive into the city due to poor public transport, then restrict retailers from doing things to promote their businesses (e.g. tables and chairs on the street) and force you to pay restrictive car parking charges.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Reesh2052 said:

Totally agree Baron. The road planners in this City couldn't plan a traffic route on a straight road. Until this is sorted there is no hope of things improving. The charge for car parking on Sunday was non-existent,  then it went up to £1 all day, then £2 all day. I know this is a smallish charge but why is it necessary, l love shopping in town on a Sunday as it is quieter , but again greed is rearing its ugly head. All the side streets slightly out of the centre are now covered with Meters, it's shameful. Surely the Council should be encouraging people into the City Centre to shop, eat, drink, browse, relax and spend money but no they force you to drive into the city due to poor public transport, then restrict retailers from doing things to promote their businesses (e.g. tables and chairs on the street) and force you to pay restrictive car parking charges.

 

£2 to park all day?  Wow!  And you are grumbling?!

Edited by Agent Orange
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.