Burglaries Around Hillsborough

7 hours ago, barmyowls said:

Seems S6 areas are being targeted in all areas , Sheds as well , Hopefully the scum get caught soon

I’m in S6 and got targeted. They tried my front door at10 pm at night as I was sitting watching tv a few feet away from them. Luckily it was locked, but as I looked through my window, a youth in a  hoody ran down my steps and climbed into a red car which sped off.

Edited by pattricia

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I’m in S6 and got targeted. They tried my front door at10 pm at night as I was sitting watching tv a few feet away from them. Luckily it was locked, but as I looked through my window, a youth in a  hoody ran down my steps and climbed into a red car which sped off.

The red car seems to crop up a lot.

I know the police will not come out to you or do anything, but may I suggest you report it anyway.  Any little snippet of information can be collated and a bigger picture built.

Glad your door was locked.  Hope you have a chain and other measures too. It must be frightening to know you have been tried. Hopefully they will not come back, but please don't be complacent now.

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I know the police will not come out to you or do anything, but may I suggest you report it anyway.  Any little snippet of information can be collated and a bigger picture built.

Glad your door was locked.  Hope you have a chain and other measures too. It must be frightening to know you have been tried. Hopefully they will not come back, but please don't be complacent now.

The house opposite us was targeted and the police did come out / they also went round neighbouring properties including ours to inform us what had happened and gave us leaflets on securing property etc.

24 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My neighbour works at a police station and told me that if it happens again to dial 999 straight away, because even if the police don’t come out, they make a report of the incident, as someone is tresspassing on my property. Funnily enough her own door wasn’t locked !

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Do you have a hallway? If so, how did you manage to hear the door handle go especially if you were watching tv. I would have thought that the intruders would have been careful not to make any noise.

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Do you have a hallway? If so, how did you manage to hear the door handle go especially if you were watching tv. I would have thought that the intruders would have been careful not to make any noise.

Yes, I do have a hallway but the door to where I was sitting was open so I was a couple of feet away from my front door. My tv was on low.

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

At least in Walkley, the neighbourhood watch seems good at collating information. I believe in the past this has led to arrests eventually. Anyway they are on facebook so if you are Walkley S6 you can also report to them.

If anyone knows who it is there is a cash reward, from Walkley Neighbourhood Watch, for any tipoff leading to a conviction.

I got burgled a few years back in S6. They took my car keys and my ex's car keys and therefore our cars... We think they'd jangled the front lock but couldn't be sure.

Both cars were found smashed up  - one had driven into loads more on Wordsworth Avenue (which went on OUR insurance) - police did naff all.

2 hours ago, victoriae said:

I got burgled a few years back in S6. They took my car keys and my ex's car keys and therefore our cars... We think they'd jangled the front lock but couldn't be sure.

Both cars were found smashed up  - one had driven into loads more on Wordsworth Avenue (which went on OUR insurance) - police did naff all.

It is getting worse in S6. Our local Co-op has been burgled 5 times this year. They are holding the assistants up with knives, and taking the money out of the till. The assistants are only young girls, and are really frightened. It needs some burly six foot male behind the till, but I doubt whether that would stop them. The cowards always wear hoodies or masks so cannot be recognised on cctv.

The other night in S6 around 7.30pm, Monday I think, there were three young men going from door to door and speaking to the housholder;  what it was about I don't know yet but hope to find out. They appeared to be monitoring their phones. Bad idea anyway after dark.

They tried my house the other night, 3 lads, with a pole.

got them on camera :D

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

It is getting worse in S6. Our local Co-op has been burgled 5 times this year. They are holding the assistants up with knives, and taking the money out of the till. The assistants are only young girls, and are really frightened. It needs some burly six foot male behind the till, but I doubt whether that would stop them. The cowards always wear hoodies or masks so cannot be recognised on cctv.

What you're describing is robbery, not burglary.