Burglaries Around Hillsborough

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Rendal said:

I live in Hillsborough. On Sunday morning (13th October) at 3:30am, burglars broke into my house and stole my car and my brother's car, along with other items. Three adults and four kids were asleep upstairs. This is almost as serious as it gets. It is getting ridiculous around here. Just had the window cleaner around collecting money and he tells me he knows of loads of other burglaries, including on Minto. Read on nextdoor.co.uk that there have been burglaries and cars stolen on Laird. I think we residents need to consider a sting operation. 3:30am is the hour of choice, based on what I'm reading on these forums. I'm going to try and find out what is being done. Reports of groups of lads stealing is really crazy. This is clearly not isolated. We need to do something.

The police need to do something if this is the case.

21 hours ago, Rendal said:

I live in Hillsborough. On Sunday morning (13th October) at 3:30am, burglars broke into my house and stole my car and my brother's car, along with other items. Three adults and four kids were asleep upstairs. This is almost as serious as it gets. It is getting ridiculous around here. Just had the window cleaner around collecting money and he tells me he knows of loads of other burglaries, including on Minto. Read on nextdoor.co.uk that there have been burglaries and cars stolen on Laird. I think we residents need to consider a sting operation. 3:30am is the hour of choice, based on what I'm reading on these forums. I'm going to try and find out what is being done. Reports of groups of lads stealing is really crazy. This is clearly not isolated. We need to do something.

Sorry to hear this Rendal . It really is worrying . I believe there has been several attempted burglaries in Hillsborough too .

Does anyone know if Neighbourhood watch schemes  in areas deter or actually work ?

I suggest a simple motion detector covering your doors windows or any vulnerable points. Use this to turn on lights, or sound a loud bell, send an alert to your phone or whatever would awaken you.  

24hr CCTV can also be installed for around £20 or less for a  reasonably good camera. Most now send alerts to your mobile phone. 

Locking chains and locking window  restricor cables can also be installed for relatively few pounds. Four cables and a chain for under £10.

Your local crime prevention officer (should you be able to find him/her) would be able to advise on which to use or just Google. 

Those burglaries where cars are stolen along with items have been named Hanoi burglaries and cause double trouble, especially if the stolen car is then used to commit further crime. Your local NPT can provide crime prevention information and have recently updated the booklet.

NHW scheme do work if you join then and have a 20% discount on ERA alarms at the moment. The best method of preventing burglary is to have the right locks fitted, deterrents are just that and don't stop burglaries from happening. Yorkshire it seems is where lock snapping is most prolific.

1 hour ago, Hadron said:

Those burglaries where cars are stolen along with items have been named Hanoi burglaries and cause double trouble, especially if the stolen car is then used to commit further crime. Your local NPT can provide crime prevention information and have recently updated the booklet.

NHW scheme do work if you join then and have a 20% discount on ERA alarms at the moment. The best method of preventing burglary is to have the right locks fitted, deterrents are just that and don't stop burglaries from happening. Yorkshire it seems is where lock snapping is most prolific.

Yes I was done by lock snapping a few years ago.

I found many people I knew did not even know about this either (two people I know changed their locks straightaway when I told them!). Would be good if this was better publicised.

I mean rather than the Police using scarce resources to try and deal with my burglary after the fact, and basically tell me its my own fault for having crappy locks and no burger alarm....maybe they could instead send leaflets around to encourage people to be more proactive and change their locks etc.

Edited by nightrider

What is wrong with fitting the well tried  Steering Wheel lock, ? instead of the alarms which  mostly seem to be ignored  by passers by.  Anyone trying to remove the steering lock will have to carry a hack saw around with them, and make some considerable noise

Have had one for some years now and no trouble.

By the way, I live in Hillsbough

Edited by bazjea

24 minutes ago, bazjea said:

What is wrong with fitting the well tried  Steering Wheel lock, ? instead of the alarms which  mostly seem to be ignored  by passers by.  Anyone trying to remove the steering lock will have to carry a hack saw around with them, and make some considerable noise

Have had one for some years now and no trouble.

By the way, I live in Hillsbough

Reading it as I have it seem the thieves have found people’s car keys and If thieves have got your car keys it’s most likely the key for the steering lock is on same key ring as car key so the steering lock would be no deterrent what so ever 

. I seem to remember at on time, there were steering  locks that needed a code instead of keys.  Surely this would  slow down getting the lock open

Unless all car thieves are safe lock  pickers

I would say fit a tracker, in my opinion better than all the above.

27 minutes ago, kidley said:

I would say fit a tracker, in my opinion better than all the above.

Fit a ghost. Even better 

1 minute ago, rudds1 said:

Fit a ghost. Even better 

forgive my ignorance ?

Just now, kidley said:

forgive my ignorance ?

had two minutes to think, you mean a ghost a proper one, as the saying goes worth dying for. 

13 minutes ago, kidley said:

forgive my ignorance ?

had two minutes to think, you mean a ghost a proper one, as the saying goes worth dying for. 

Ghost is a brilliant bit of kit .even if someone gets your vehicle keys it stops them starting your vehicle but it can only be fitted to canbus vehicles.