Burglaries Around Hillsborough

Just a heads up the burglars are out and about again in Hillsborough  around Upwood ,Warner Etc. 

Edited by nikki-red

That's around my area.  We never leave doors unlocked, even when we are at home. All the large windows are locked, upstairs as well as downstairs.   If we are out in the evening (rarely) the lights come on.  What other actions can we take?

Is this a general warning, or have some properties already been broken into?

Burglars are out and about everywhere. These alarmist warnings about a particular area can cause irrational worry for those living in that area.

But they can also be very useful for people to be extra vigilant when leaving the house unattended, if there is any burglary's in my area then I want to know

The were 5 lads out checking driveways and back yards in Hillsborough 3:30am around 2 weeks ago?

The police went looking for them, but they'd disappeared!

They were after a niebhours Motorbike, which is heavily chained and secured, 2 were on lookout whilst the other  three tried tackling the bike.

Always worth double checking doors and locks are secured.

Houses have actually been burgled . I’m not being alarmist I’m making people aware to be extra vigilant .The police drop leaflets into houses on roads  where they have been burglaries are they being alarmist? 

5 hours ago, steve68 said:

The were 5 lads out checking driveways and back yards in Hillsborough 3:30am around 2 weeks ago?

The police went looking for them, but they'd disappeared!

They were after a niebhours Motorbike, which is heavily chained and secured, 2 were on lookout whilst the other  three tried tackling the bike.

Always worth double checking doors and locks are secured.

My dad was up in the night a few days ago, and saw several  (6 or 7) youngish lads going up and down the road trying front doors.  A car was waiting on the end of the road with no lights, but the engine on.   Unfortunately, my dad didn't think to ring the police at the time 🙄 but has said he'll call 101 if he remembers any details.  This was round the Laird Road area.  

On 07/10/2019 at 09:44, autumn said:

Just a heads up the burglars are out and about again in Hillsborough  around Upwood ,Warner Etc. 

A friend lives not far from that area and their living room window was smashed in during the night as access into the house. Multiple items were taken including their vehicle. The robbers don't care anymore and will do anything to get a bit of money without actually working for it. Please take precautions 

3 hours ago, Midget said:

A friend lives not far from that area and their living room window was smashed in during the night as access into the house. Multiple items were taken including their vehicle. The robbers don't care anymore and will do anything to get a bit of money without actually working for it. Please take precautions 

It really is worrying that they would smash a main window to get in . I’m guessing it was double glazed as well ? There is just no deterrent ,no fear of consequences . 

Best advice?....Get a BIG dog...Burglars hate big dogs.!

:thumbsup:

I live in Stannington and a few months ago a woman on the next road, was gardening in her back garden during the day but had not locked her front door. A sneak thief came in and stole her credit and debit cards from her handbag. They bought petrol with them before she could cancel them.

This has made me extra careful and I now keep both front and back doors locked even when I’m in the house. Better to be safe than sorry !

15 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Best advice?....Get a BIG dog...Burglars hate big dogs.!

:thumbsup:

Not so if you read this article are dogs deterrents?  If you are keen on burglary prevention read this.

26 minutes ago, autumn said:

It really is worrying that they would smash a main window to get in . I’m guessing it was double glazed as well ? There is just no deterrent ,no fear of consequences . 

They also have a page about window security.