Talktalk To Charge Non Customers For Email Use?

We used to be with TalkTalk but we are now with BT for our broadband. My partner still uses our old TalkTalk email address but I'm hearing that TalkTalk are intending to charge people that are no longer with them but are using a TalkTalk email address.

What does this mean? What do I need to do?

32 minutes ago, Earthling said:

What does this mean? What do I need to do?

Get one of the million free email addresses.

No one charges for email addresses in  2019.

Agree with TCH.  You change broadband providers over the years, so get something with Yahoo, Google or Outlook that will stay with you forever.

Even when I had cable for decades, the provider and my email address they provided changed from cwcom.net, to telewest.net then Virgin.

I personally do have an outlook account and have done for years, but my partner still uses the old TalkTalk one for all her stuff, bank etc. To avoid this charge I was wondering whether we'd have to actively contact TalkTalk and terminate it but apparently on a certain date it will just automatically expire if we do nothing.

Changing an email address can look a bit daunting at first but it isn't that bad.

First, get a new email address. I find Gmail fairly good but the choice is yours.

Send a bulk email to all friends a relatives that have the old one, letting them know your new email. This can be done in one send.

As for banks and other companies, do it online if you can (most allow this) or a quick phone call should sort it.

Lastly set up a redirect from your old talktalk email to your new email address. This should show you any that might have been missed. As said  above, paying for emails isn't really needed.

1 hour ago, zach said:

Send a bulk email to all friends a relatives that have the old one, letting them know your new email. This can be done in one send.

If you do this make sure you use BCC not CC. Not all of your contacts will want you to share their email address with everyone else you know.

14 minutes ago, altus said:

If you do this make sure you use BCC not CC. Not all of your contacts will want you to share their email address with everyone else you know.

Good point!

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Good point!

You should take note of Zach and Altus contributions, much more worthwhile and useful than the narky post you made.

9 minutes ago, Earthling said:

You should take note of Zach and Altus contributions, much more worthwhile and useful than the narky post you made.

😂🤣😂

Earthling - register a new gmail address. In desktop view, go to Settings/Accounts. Add the talktalk account. Gmail will then pick up all the messages from that. As her emails come in she can then reply to them individually using the gmail address and advising the sender of the change. Gradually the messages addressed to talktalk will diminish until she no longer needs the overlap and it can be closed. You can do the same with Outlook.

It just gives you time to sort things out gradually rather than all at once.

23 hours ago, Earthling said:

my partner still uses the old TalkTalk one for all her stuff, bank etc. 

Risky. From May:

Bank details of 4,500 TalkTalk customers leaked online during hack despite being told they were safe, BBC Watchdog reveals

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9128144/bank-details-of-4500-talktalk-customers-leaked-online-during-hack-despite-telecoms-firm-promising-personal-info-was-safe-bbc-watchdog-reveals/

16 hours ago, Jomie said:

Earthling - register a new gmail address. In desktop view, go to Settings/Accounts. Add the talktalk account. Gmail will then pick up all the messages from that. As her emails come in she can then reply to them individually using the gmail address and advising the sender of the change. Gradually the messages addressed to talktalk will diminish until she no longer needs the overlap and it can be closed. You can do the same with Outlook.

It just gives you time to sort things out gradually rather than all at once.

I think that's the key to swapping over, if you have a bit of time, do it gradually.

Here's a list of email providers I use in order of how well they work.

Gmail - No issues to date

Live/Outlook - No issues to date

Yahoo - Plenty of sync issues. Plenty of server down issues. My 2 Yahoo addresses are being retired, not worth the trouble!!

Another thing I never do is use ISP email addresses. It's not because they are bad, it's just because I don't know how long I'll be with them.

I hope the move goes OK Earthling and you know where we are if you need any more tips/advice.