Disgraceful Housing System

A friend of mine, his wife and 2 kids (both under 5) have recently been made homeless by the council (currently in temporary accommodation)

They were made homeless as the Council (Environmental Health) did a surprise inspection of the private rental property they were living in. They found that the Gas-Safe cert was fraudulent, an electrical inspection certificate was fraudulent & the smoke alarms in the house were nothing more that a box with a green light & a buzzer connected to a button. 

They were told to leave immediately as the property was declared unfit for habitation and had to move their entire house into storage (costing them £400pm)

They were referred to the housing panel for priority on the housing list. The request, submitted by the homeless team, has been rejected on the basis that the family income is sufficient to afford private housing therefore not eligible for a council property!

They have no money saved, sufficient to pay a large bond anyway, their landlord is being obstructive  in returning their bond, refusing to communicate with DPS. DPS won't release it until he says so, despite the situation.

Their income barely scrapes 30k combined before deductions etc.

Since when has social housing been about affordability? It's supposed to be about NEED. They NEED a place to live permanently. It's disgraceful that a couple, who have worked for 15-20 years, paid into the system throughout and now they need to fall back on that system and it just responds with a "Computer says no" attitude.

Does anyone have any advice?

They will be eligible for social housing (unless there is a reason like arrears for instance), perhaps not for a full homeless priority.   Its difficult to tell without knowing exactly what they have been advised.  I can imagine if there is a shortage of council housing in the area they want, private renting as a quicker option may have been suggested.  

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/housing/council-housing/Allocation Policy (430 Kb) .pdf

Page 23 number 4.6 of the policy (above link) suggests they should have priority, as they were moved out of their home by the council who said it was unsafe.  There are housing workers on this forum who may be more familiar with the current system, but nowhere in the policy have I read that an income of £30k precludes anyone from a council tenancy.  If I were your friends, I'd take all the information from the council to Shelter. 

https://www.homeless.org.uk/homeless-england/service/shelter-sheffield-hub

Edited by Ms Macbeth

What a horrible situation to be in, through no fault of their own.    I'm afraid I can't help with any helpful advice but hope they get somewhere suitable to live very soon.

I've been reading the Shelter website, and private housing is an option for the council to offer these days as a solution.  It will be interesting to hear from Resident if the family get any help from Shelter, and how their case with the council progresses.

On 06/10/2019 at 21:08, Ms Macbeth said:

They will be eligible for social housing (unless there is a reason like arrears for instance), perhaps not for a full homeless priority.   Its difficult to tell without knowing exactly what they have been advised.  I can imagine if there is a shortage of council housing in the area they want, private renting as a quicker option may have been suggested.  

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/housing/council-housing/Allocation Policy (430 Kb) .pdf

Page 23 number 4.6 of the policy (above link) suggests they should have priority, as they were moved out of their home by the council who said it was unsafe.  There are housing workers on this forum who may be more familiar with the current system, but nowhere in the policy have I read that an income of £30k precludes anyone from a council tenancy.  If I were your friends, I'd take all the information from the council to Shelter. 

https://www.homeless.org.uk/homeless-england/service/shelter-sheffield-hub

using the above, the family should be able to appeal. 

OP, has this happened in sheffield?? wherever the family are, they need to find a local housing advice service, who understand the local allocations policy.

hi i always thought if they are in tempory accomidation ,due to no fault of there own the council MUST re-home them,it may be a bad area or estate they dont want,but at least its a start,a base until something else turns up,also theres other options

have they seen the 1st come housing on a 1st come basis,or contacted louise haigh or councillors these are other options,just get a base then you can get a private landlord and put your name on the waiting list,but renew every year,also is there anything in derbyshire,like dronfield

hope it gets sorted good luck

11 hours ago, bassett one said:

hi i always thought if they are in tempory accomidation ,due to no fault of there own the council MUST re-home them,it may be a bad area or estate they dont want,but at least its a start,a base until something else turns up,also theres other options

have they seen the 1st come housing on a 1st come basis,or contacted louise haigh or councillors these are other options,just get a base then you can get a private landlord and put your name on the waiting list,but renew every year,also is there anything in derbyshire,like dronfield

hope it gets sorted good luck

One of the options for rehousing now is to offer private rental.     There are family size properties on FCFS as you mention, but they nearly all tend to be maisonettes in Gleadless Valley, Lowedges, or Middlewood.  Not a lot of choice.   

hi if thats the case possibly a downstairs flat on lowedges,i am sec of the tara on that area and although being several miles from town ,its crime rate is average,a lot have bought so that helps to improve a estate,but it causes a stock shortage,we have a big new shopping centre at norton,we have a huge festival,doctors,great schools,can get snowed in sometimes,near to bakewell 20 min ,so i suggest you try that idea thanks

On 6 October 2019 at 20:30, Resident said:

A friend of mine, his wife and 2 kids (both under 5) have recently been made homeless by the council (currently in temporary accommodation)

They were made homeless as the Council (Environmental Health) did a surprise inspection of the private rental property they were living in. They found that the Gas-Safe cert was fraudulent, an electrical inspection certificate was fraudulent & the smoke alarms in the house were nothing more that a box with a green light & a buzzer connected to a button. 

They were told to leave immediately as the property was declared unfit for habitation and had to move their entire house into storage (costing them £400pm)

They were referred to the housing panel for priority on the housing list. The request, submitted by the homeless team, has been rejected on the basis that the family income is sufficient to afford private housing therefore not eligible for a council property!

They have no money saved, sufficient to pay a large bond anyway, their landlord is being obstructive  in returning their bond, refusing to communicate with DPS. DPS won't release it until he says so, despite the situation.

Their income barely scrapes 30k combined before deductions etc.

Since when has social housing been about affordability? It's supposed to be about NEED. They NEED a place to live permanently. It's disgraceful that a couple, who have worked for 15-20 years, paid into the system throughout and now they need to fall back on that system and it just responds with a "Computer says no" attitude.

Does anyone have any advice?

Have your friends made any progress re their housing situation?

20 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Have your friends made any progress re their housing situation?

Yes, yesterday as it happens. They found a private landlord who was sympathetic to their situation & appalled by the lack of support from the council. 

The landlord has agreed (in writing) to suspend their normal bond requirement for 6 months (12mth tenancy) to give them time to save it. 

They've also seen a housing solicitor who's stated that the reason for not granting them a council house (affordability) isn't legally valid and has advised lodging a formal complaint with a hint of legal action as they have this in writing from a council email address.