Feral Cats

Hi , wonder if anyone has any ideas . Mum is having a problem with Feral cats pooing in her garden , it's driving her nuts . These cats are breeding like wild fire , so many of them now .She bought one of those ultra sonic things but that didn't work . Also tried cat pepper , vinegar , nothing works . She is going to get a mesh to put down on the front gravel because they went there today . But she is at a loss for what to do with her back garden now . Cheers 

Not much will work really other than buying a dog or just accepting it. Its a pain I know but cats are persistent little beggars if if they see the land as theirs then not much will shift them,

Just dont go me neighbours route when he had the same problems. He bought an air rifle and tried shooting them thankfully he was a terrible shot and he didnt hit any. I know this for a fact because he used to whinge to me about it constantly.

31 minutes ago, Darkwitch14 said:

Hi , wonder if anyone has any ideas . Mum is having a problem with Feral cats pooing in her garden , it's driving her nuts . These cats are breeding like wild fire , so many of them now .She bought one of those ultra sonic things but that didn't work . Also tried cat pepper , vinegar , nothing works . She is going to get a mesh to put down on the front gravel because they went there today . But she is at a loss for what to do with her back garden now . Cheers 

Does she have anything that attracts birds to her garden, either a feeder or a bird fountain etc,,or worse still does she regularly throw out bits of bread for birds? If she does any of that or grows anything that would be a food source for cats like catnip or some similar grass like vegitation, that is why they come, they don't come just to poo, ferals are wild and can poo wherever they like.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Thanks Ontarian , she hasn't got any bird stuff but she does get a lot of birds in her garden . I know these cats can poo anywhere but they do seem to choose her garden 

On 06/10/2019 at 19:53, Darkwitch14 said:

It sounds a lot more complicated than just the pooing issue, the breeding needs to be stopped at least or it will get out of control, contact cat protection to see if they will trap and neuter and as said Friends of ferals are very good.

Yep, you really need to be talking to Friends of Ferals or the lovely people at the Cats Protection, who can help with trapping and neutering of the colony.  It's a short, hungry and cold life for feral cats, so you're helping in all sorts of ways by limiting their numbers and potentially getting some of them moved to managed placements where they can live out their lives.