Katie Hopkins

Guest makapaka
12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I would suggest, what you're not ignoring her is going to do is to raise her profile and focus even more attention on her; enabling her to spread her insidious views even further.

Everyone would be better off for having more people focus on more postive role-models. Sadly, people don't seem to like doing that, no idea why not.

I understood your point the first time - as per my previous post I don’t agree that ignoring it is appropriate in this instance give that whilst I could ignore it - a significant number of people believe what she is saying is correct .  

Therefore ignoring it isn’t going to change their point of view or stop them following her on social media is it?

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Theyre all things Katie Hopkins has said -  I don’t think its entertaining.

So why does she refer to it as Londonistan?

Well,  My old part of the city was officially known as  Banglatown! 

Bit background  

https://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/2012/11/mayor-joins-campaign-against-banglatown-name-change/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7411512.stm

2022 will be interesting down in Banglatown  Ex-Mayor Lutfur Rahman will be running and no doubt will get a massive landslide victory.

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

I understood your point the first time - as per my previous post I don’t agree that ignoring it is appropriate in this instance give that whilst I could ignore it - a significant number of people believe what she is saying is correct .  

Therefore ignoring it isn’t going to change their point of view or stop them following her on social media is it?

That's correct, ignoring it, isn't going to change any views held by individuals here or elsewhere on social media.

To my mind, factors at play are:

1. What impact will you arguing against, have on those with views similar to KH?

2. Will that impact be positive or negative, further entrenching them in their views?

3. Have you quantified 1 and 2?

4. How many extra people will you expose to these vile views, by way of focusing people's minds on KH?

I don't have any hard data on any of the above I'm afraid. Just my gut feel, is that it's better for all of us the more we focus attention on positive role models; be like *this* rather than don't be like *that*.

Also; getting people to change or evolve their point of view is a very interesting topic in itself. How do you think that's most effectively achieved?

Edited by Waldo

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Waldo said:

That's correct, ignoring it, isn't going to change any views held by individuals here or elsewhere on social media.

To my mind, factors at play are:

1. What impact will you arguing against, have on those with views similar to KH?

2. Will that impact be positive or negative, further entrenching them in their views?

3. Have you quantified 1 and 2?

4. How many extra people will you expose to these vile views, by way of focusing people's minds on KH?

I don't have any hard data on any of the above I'm afraid. Just my gut feel, is that it's better for all of us the more we focus attention on positive role models; be like *this* rather than don't be like *that*.

Also; getting people to change or evolve their point of view is a very interesting topic in itself. How do you think that's most effectively achieved?

I don’t know - I’m on Sheffield forum not working for a social think tank.

i personally would call someone out for saying they agree with Katie Hopkins and try to make them understand why it is wrong - I think that’s more positive than ignoring it.

i don’t disagree that promoting positive role models is also positive action. 

On that very sad documentary the other week about the cyber bullying Jesy Nelson received when she was in Little Mix, she said that she had considered suicide after a particularly nasty set of tweets, among them one from Katie Hopkins.

All those far-right, alt-right posters on here who believe that allowing vile behaviour is championing free speech really need to give their heads a wobble.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

On that very sad documentary the other week about the cyber bullying Jesy Nelson received when she was in Little Mix, she said that she had considered suicide after a particularly nasty set of tweets, among them one from Katie Hopkins.

All those far-right, alt-right posters on here who believe that allowing vile behaviour is championing free speech really need to give their heads a wobble.

Absolutely - she should be allowed to say whatever she wants but the damage of what she’s saying needs to be highlighted and people need to understand it’s unacceptable.

i don’t hate her cos she wants to leave the EU - so do some of my friends and family - I hate her because she is completely and absolutely prejudiced and I don’t know why we should put up with that.

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

the ones that need to give their head a wobble as you put it are the ones that get all depressed about anything on social media especially so called celebrities/ if you dont like it dont look at it simple! same goes for all these silly kids that self harm because somebody called them a name or had an argument on twitter of facebook......grow up really!

7 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

the ones that need to give their head a wobble as you put it are the ones that get all depressed about anything on social media especially so called celebrities/ if you dont like it dont look at it simple! same goes for all these silly kids that self harm because somebody called them a name or had an argument on twitter of facebook......grow up really!

Nice illustration of both profound ignorance and total callousness. 

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Nice illustration of both profound ignorance and total callousness. 

no its an illustration of common sense, which is sadly lacking in todays world especially the young.

19 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

no its an illustration of common sense, which is sadly lacking in todays world especially the young.

A complete lack of empathy and understanding, and a staggering indifference to other people's distress. I think you're morally and emotionally withered.

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

Absolutely - she should be allowed to say whatever she wants but the damage of what she’s saying needs to be highlighted and people need to understand it’s unacceptable.

i don’t hate her cos she wants to leave the EU - so do some of my friends and family - I hate her because she is completely and absolutely prejudiced and I don’t know why we should put up with that.

It's also dangerous to ignore, these lies have real consequences

26 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mother-open-letter-cyber-bullying-victim-suicide-online-social-media-a7347531.html

Read this and reflect on your words.