Anyone Live Up A Hill - How Do You Cope In The Winter?

I moved in the summer, not onto a steep hill but a steady slope, at the top. I love it here.

However, now the weather is turning I have started wondering what it will be like in winter when its icy. I don't drive and rely on buses and will have to walk down the hill to get  to the bus stop.

Does anyone here live on a hill or slope and how do you cope in the winter? I'm not ancient by the way but not a spring chicken either (almost 58) but not unfit. I am just scared of slipping in the ice.

Edited by Retro Queen

50 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

I moved in the summer, not onto a steep hill but a steady slope, at the top. I love it here.

No fear of flooding up a hill! 😉

Aldis/Lidls always do those snow show grip things when the winter comes. Every elderly member of my family have them as Xmas presents.

35bfbc3bcacff3f4a88876cef92b02708631a962

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Aldis/Lidls always do those snow show grip things when the winter comes. Every elderly member of my family have them as Xmas presents.

I got some of these when they first came out but don't fit over my shoes. Do the elderly members of your family live on a hill by the way?

17 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

I got some of these when they first came out but don't fit over my shoes. Do the elderly members of your family live on a hill by the way?

Some do, some don’t. You can just as easily end up on your arse on flat ground in the snow and ice. 😵

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Some do, some don’t. You can just as easily end up on your arse on flat ground in the snow and ice. 😵

That's true but walking down a hill in the ice seems more daunting.

Stay on the house. Don’t come out from October to March. Only solution.

2 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

I walk on the grass verges.

Very sensible - but round where we used to live grass verges were few and far between and steep roads plentiful.

Just now, Longcol said:

Very sensible - but round where we used to live grass verges were few and far between and steep roads plentiful.

I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

I guess if you have grips on your shoes and take every precaution you can then Happ has the solution:hihi:

Winter is part of our year, you just have to get on with it.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not many grass verges here either.

8 minutes ago, Happ said:

Stay on the house. Don’t come out from October to March. Only solution.

Not very realistic is it? I work full time so I have to go out but I hate staying in anyway so even if I wasn't working I'd be out every day.

It is hardly ever too icy to walk on the pavements in Sheffield.

Buy some decent boots, with good grip. Maybe get some Yaktracks, or similar. Take your time and you’ll be fine.

On the odd, really icy day, just wait for the sun to get onto the road.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

This is the best advise you will get on this thread, if your spikes don't fit on your shoes, get some that do. I used to walk down Cobnar Road from Hemsworth road after severe snow nine or so years ago. The initial snow wasn't a problem but after a day or two of thaw and freeze I never would have got down there in a million years without breaking something. They used to sell some at the squid shop that worked really well, dont know if they still do. Found some really good ones on ebay that have triangle type spikes on them and they work fantastic, only about a fiver at the time, really good quality and I still have them now. Also make sure they are a really good snug tight fit. If they are a sloppy fit they will keep moving around on your shoe and even come off which you will find annoying.