Anyone Live Up A Hill - How Do You Cope In The Winter?

Slipping on ice can happen anywhere. Your main problem will be the buses not running after you got down the hill.

8 hours ago, jane2008 said:

I walk on the grass verges.

Not in Hillsborough then!  I live up a hill, in my seventies now. If I have to go out, i wear snow boots with a good grip.  The road is often less icy than the pavements, but watch out for cars. 🚗🚙 And go slowly!

The trams seem to be able to run in the coldest of conditions. So if you can get to them, you will still be able to get around. 

I wear the rubber grippy things. They work perfectly well in town. They work on frozen grass as well. Micro spikes are to long for gadding about Manor Top .

Winter tyres and chains for the car, But Myrtle Road is a challenge in ice and snow conditions.

Agree with what everyone else said.

And also...

We moved onto a very steep road about 7 years ago. Everytime it snows, we shovel the snow and grit the pavement in front of our house, and about 3 houses uphill and 3 houses downhill (to help out some other neighbours). First year we were the only ones who did it. Second year we were the only ones. Third year, a couple of other neighbours started doing it and now we get a clear path almost all the way up and down. (It helps if you shovel before too many other people have walked on it.)

Takes about 1 hour each snowfall, so a few hours each year, and if a number of people chip in you can make a real difference!

(I love this city, people do look after one another.)

Andy

Edited by Dozer
Added a sentence

2 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Not in Hillsborough then!  I live up a hill, in my seventies now. If I have to go out, i wear snow boots with a good grip.  The road is often less icy than the pavements, but watch out for cars. 🚗🚙 And go slowly!

Whereabouts in Hillsborough do you live? I was born and bred there and now live close by.

I use to live on a hill and when it snowed heavy I had to abandon my car half way up the hill the odd time.  When using public transport you had to get off the bus at the bottom of the hill because they were unable to drive up it. Although it didn’t happen very often.

It is harder walking down a hill when it has snowed.  Good advice walking on the grass verge if there is one, I use to walk on the edge of it, or walking on snow that hasn’t been walked on seemed to grip better and not quite as slippery.  I have also used my mum’s old walking stick when going down hill only doing very small steps, so allow extra time if going to work.  I’ve never tried the spiky things you put on your shoes so I might give them a try, or invest  in shoes that are designed for bad weather. I know this might sound daft and I hope it doesn’t happen but you could  also wear a extra thick coat just in case you do fall, it might help to cushion the fall.  

12 hours ago, jane2008 said:

I walk on the grass verges.

That presents its own hazards. 🐕

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

That presents its own hazards. 🐕

Yes you are right, I’ve walked in dog poo once, didn’t see it, so I try to walk on the edge of the verge.  So far I’ve been okay.

I hate snow. It's should be banned. Doesn't do anything except cause problems for everyone then disappears.

I don't even like it on photos or Christmas cards. And don't get me started on kids who turn the roads into skating rinks. And I don't even live on a hill. 😠

54 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Yes you are right, I’ve walked in dog poo once, didn’t see it, so I try to walk on the edge of the verge.  So far I’ve been okay.

Yeah, but if its really cold it's more of a trip hazard than a slip hazard.