Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Watford V Blades

If you were to go on previous performances this season, coupled with watfords form, then you have to see this as a fantastic opportunity for the blades to pick up 3 points on the road.

Despite form, Watford won't be an easy day out for us blades. BUT; we do have what it takes to beat these and the majority of this league if we remain consistent. We need'nt fear anyone when we remain disciplined and play fearlessly.

Time we got a convincing win on the board in merit of performance. On form blades could easily win this by a couple of clear goals..... I'm going for a 1-2 blades however.

Should expect 3 points from these, they've been awful so far. Got you down for a 2 nil win in my super 6

A point's a point, but 😴 

Not horrific, but we should have set up to really go at them. Dominated possession without really creating. 

39 minutes ago, Moistened said:

A point's a point, but 😴 

Not horrific, but we should have set up to really go at them. Dominated possession without really creating. 

Desperately need a proven Prem goalscorer Moistened.. trouble is they don"t come cheap.. creating enough chances, but  nobody to bury em.

2 poor teams apparently, my mate said it was like 2 bald blokes fighting over a comb 😂

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Desperately need a proven Prem goalscorer Moistened.. trouble is they don"t come cheap.. creating enough chances, but  nobody to bury em.

6 shots on target in 3 games suggests differently!

Why would 2 bald blokes be fighting over a comb? 

If united finish 4th from bottom then it has to be classed as a success 

And looking at the other teams near the bottom, if united can keep getting these points then perhaps they can finish 4th from bottom 

Hopefully teams like Watford, Newcastle and Norwich will get smashed by other teams so goal difference will work in united favour

1 hour ago, speedy69 said:

2 poor teams apparently, my mate said it was like 2 bald blokes fighting over a comb 😂

6 shots on target in 3 games suggests differently!

It certainly did look like two poor teams today, a very poor game. 

Still, 12th in the Premier League, a satisfactory start to the season and I expect us to improve. 

Good result for United, they generally have a problem putting the lesser sides to bed. 

1 hour ago, Moistened said:

It certainly did look like two poor teams today, a very poor game. 

Still, 12th in the Premier League, a satisfactory start to the season and I expect us to improve. 

I think United need to 'make hay' in the first half of the season, teams may not have the same respect after Christmas!

19 minutes ago, speedy69 said:

I think United need to 'make hay' in the first half of the season, teams may not have the same respect after Christmas!

By our own standards, we've been poor. Wilder generally adapts very well, I expect us to improve. 

Strange game that one.  Blades controlled most of it and if they could have garnished the performance with a goal or two then I dare say most Blades fans would be regarding that as a first class performance and be joyously happy.  However, it felt only marginally better than a defeat, because Watford were poor, very poor and if we cannot score a goal against a side like that it doesn't bode well.  Indeed if Watford had taken their chances - and they had more and better chances than United - the Blades could have found themselves on the wrong end of a 2 or 3 goal defeat.   

A week ago we saw the Blades holding their own against the European Champions - a performance that spoke volumes about how far the team has come - even though it ended in an unfortunate, undeserved, defeat.   There is much to be encouraged about - but the lack of cutting edge up front is a growing concern and one which threatens to undermine all the other very positive things that the team are doing.  

More quality needed up top Blades - time to ring the changes and start drawing up a shortlist of strikers who can cut it at this level in Jan.

Difficult game against a team who are trying to kickstart their season. 

Watford played the majority of the game with 10 men behind the ball, barring the odd counter attacking effort. This made for a testing game, as the home team were happy to camp back and try to absorb pressure. 

We had plenty of the ball and we put it around on the deck very well. We had to be savvy in our approach play, because the opposition half of the pitch was so densely populated and there was little space to play in. But we did put the ball around very well, lots of passing play, triangles and off the ball runs. 

The final third of the pitch though was just so vastly populated. Any balls into the box saw out strikers double man marked and for the majority, you could count 8 opposition players in and around the 18 yard box. It was really difficult to break them down, despite coming very close on a few occasions. 

Speedy has a valid point about shots on target to be fair. We are defending fantastically and we are putting the ball around and looking to create things, but if we are to convert performances into points, then we need to be doing more in the final third of the pitch (obviously).

Far from any concerns on my part however! We are matching teams week in / week out and we are doing more than enough at the minute in our quest to stay in this league beyond this season. Our objective has and always will be survival, we are doing most things right and we are picking up points. We are able to sit here and say that no one team has outclassed us yet this season and we could have taken something from every single game that we have played in. The majority of our gameplay is fantastic and finetuning a few things will bring more success. 

I think we have to look at changes up top now. Robinson and McBurnie work very hard to get back and support, as well as moving off the ball. But runs down the flanks and getting back to build, won't score us goals. We need to consider the likes of Moussett, freeman and morrison, if we are to create new dimensions up top. 

Very satisfied overall though.........All things said and done, Watford did set up and play for a point. They simply wanted to get something on the board, in hop of kickstarting their season. 

On to the next.....