Adobe Photoshop

On 26/10/2019 at 22:54, Albert the Cat said:

Free alternatives are seldom applicable for serious work.  For example, in our environment, we use NX for all our CAD.  There is no way we could use a free alternative in our line of work.  If you want something done properly, you tend to need to pay for it.

I know. Blender is another perfect example of a 'bag of spanners'...

On 26/10/2019 at 18:02, swarfendor437 said:

I use GIMP and Inkscape. I also have Affinity Photo, Publisher and Designer on Win 7 64-bit - all of the Affinity products interact with each other so items created in one application can be shared with another.

I'm sure they're good, but if you are likely to have to use photo shop in your chosen career you'll want to be fluent in that, not some cheap copy.

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm sure they're good, but if you are likely to have to use photo shop in your chosen career you'll want to be fluent in that, not some cheap copy.

Cheap copy makes it (Gimp, Affinity Photo) sound inferior. I’m not sure that’s the case, you’d need to compare and contrast each application, feature for feature, and see which best suits your needs.

Granted, Gimp does seem a bit cumbersome in the UI department, but I’m sure Affinity Photo will be every bit as sleek as PS, and it strikes me as having a cleaner code-base and being less bloated etc.

If PS is a requirement your employer is asking for, then it’s a no brainier, you have no choice.

Well Adobe has now done a M$, all their apps are in the cloud. Student discount is £16.24 a month rising to £25.28 after first year. So, a three year course at those prices equals £826.88.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/buy/students.html?promoid=65FN7X8B&mv=other

Affinity Photo and Desinger one off cost of £48.99 each with free updates until next major release.

Words from a company that earn their crust gives the best arguments:

https://wecreate.digital/blog/why-we-switched-from-adobe-affinity-suite/