Adobe Photoshop

My niece has started college and they are using photoshop - can anyone explain the best way to get this - buying it seems to have changed to a monthly fee.

10 hours ago, smary said:

My niece has started college and they are using photoshop - can anyone explain the best way to get this - buying it seems to have changed to a monthly fee.

As above, monthly subscription now. I think older versions can still be bought outright but I doubt they will be the ones used in her course work.

It's also worth your niece asking her tutors if the college has any agreements/offers with Adobe. Most of the big companies such as Adobe, Apple, Microsoft etc all have education discounts. You just need to provide her student number and college email as far as I remember.

Edited by zach

thanks for the replies - have sent her off with the information, letting her sort it out now.

My youngest whilst attending interview for course at Staffordshire Uni was informed by 3rd year student she could not afford the rental in final year which would have racked up a rental fee of £1,300+ University is only permitted to install on Uni IT kit which may be available to loan. A much better product is Affinity Photo from Serif and files can be exported to Adobe format. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ and only costs £54.99 as a one off payment. All updates are free until next major release. A better product all round with helpful YouTube tutorials.

Edited by swarfendor437

17 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

My youngest whilst attending interview for course at Staffordshire Uni was informed by 3rd year student she could not afford the rental in final year which would have racked up a rental fee of £1,300+ University is only permitted to install on Uni IT kit which may be available to loan. A much better product is Affinity Photo from Serif and files can be exported to Adobe format. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ and only costs £54.99 as a one off payment. All updates are free until next major release. A better product all round with helpful YouTube tutorials.

Talking rubbish again. 

1st year annual fee for a student the complete Adobe CC suite is under £200. 

2nd year onwards is £303/year. 

Where on Earth did you get £1300+ from?

Edit: you could just get photoshop for under £120/year

Edited by Albert the Cat

23 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Talking rubbish again. 

1st year annual fee for a student the complete Adobe CC suite is under £200. 

2nd year onwards is £303/year. 

Where on Earth did you get £1300+ from?

Edit: you could just get photoshop for under £120/year

Did you read the thread in it's entirety?

" was informed by 3rd year student"

Affinity Photo still works out cheaper!

Just now, swarfendor437 said:

Did you read the thread in it's entirety?

" was informed by 3rd year student"

Affinity Photo still works out cheaper!

Yes I did, I found it astounding that you repeated it as being true. 

38 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Yes I did, I found it astounding that you repeated it as being true. 

Rental fee presumably would cover IT equipment loaded with PS. Also, it's not stated how long the rental period is.

I've not used Affinity Photo, but the same company do another image editing application for vector stuff, and it's pretty good.

Affinity Photo is clearly going to be cheaper than PS.

Also, the interface may not be as nice as competitors, but what about Gimp?

I use GIMP and Inkscape. I also have Affinity Photo, Publisher and Designer on Win 7 64-bit - all of the Affinity products interact with each other so items created in one application can be shared with another.

Free alternatives are seldom applicable for serious work.  For example, in our environment, we use NX for all our CAD.  There is no way we could use a free alternative in our line of work.  If you want something done properly, you tend to need to pay for it.