Passing Their Driving Test!

Anyone have any funny stories about passing their driving test? I was eight months pregnant and I think the examiner was worried he might have to act as midwife!!!

When I passed mine I tried to give the examiner a fiver tip he wasn't happy about it saying if anyone one had seen the money they would think I was trying to bribe him.😄

i had one test when the car broke down 20 yards from the centre on my final leg,he said he would of passed me,but was not allowed as i did not get back to the centre,on the next i passed despite catching the mini number plate on the kerb doing a 3 point turn,but it was because of a speeding car i had let it get so near the kerb,wonder if you would get away with that these days,and only a fiver a lesson in the 70s

I had 2 tests back in the early 70's and only 6 lessons. the first test I failed during the test I snapped the handbreak cable when I pulled up at the junction of Worksop road and Stainforth road. I had borrowed my mates brand new Austin 1800 which had the handbreak just underneath the dashboard. I then went to Ted Blacks and passed.

My mate's Mrs ran over a dog when she was doing the reverse turn...she failed.

Another acquaintance, who'd been banned from driving took a test for someone else, so he could have their licence. He failed and has never lived it down.

3 hours ago, alan p said:

When I passed mine I tried to give the examiner a fiver tip he wasn't happy about it saying if anyone one had seen the money they would think I was trying to bribe him.😄

Apparently this is a quite common problem for examiners especially at the test centre after a test where lots of interested parties would seen it.

My brother anticipated his emergency stop by catching the examiner lifting his clipboard out of the corner of his eye. The clipboard hit the dashboard at exactly the same time as the examiners forehead. 😂

A mate of mine from Canadia decided to take his UK bike test as he was here for three years. Although at the time the limit was 125cc for a learner to save him hiring a bike, I loaned him my Z1000 for his test which he was perfectly entitled to ride on his Canadian license. The examiner wasn’t happy but couldn’t actually do anything about it!

My auntie passed her test on the milk float she delivered milk with, in the 50s. Although she was entitled to drive the family car, she was scared to death at the very thought. I know the laws have changed a lot since then, but that was how it was then. I also remember my grandad driving the local doctor around on his afternoon visits, in the doctor's car of course,because he couldn't drive. At that time my grandad was on steady nights at the pit so he could manage both jobs.

Edited by Ontarian1981

When my mother took her driving test, the examiner asked her Questions about "Driving on motorways"

Now at that time the M1 was about being built.

She argued with the examiner, "I'm not allowed to drive on Motorways as a Learner, and anyway we don't have any up here yet!"

Even with those comments she still Passed!

Remember in a pre test lesson I was busy changing gear and giving a hand signal when the instructer commented "it might be a good idea if at least one hand was on the steering wheel".

A Friend who normally drove a solo motorcycle, was taking  his first car test, the examiner said, " I would smack my clipboard on  the Dash, I then want you to do an Emergency Stop immediately! I won't ask you to repeat this procedure.

He continued with a hill start, smashed the dash, my friend did an emergency stop suddenly, the examiner lurched forward, bashed his  forehead on the screen.

Continuing on the instructor repeatedly hit the dash, 30 times, which my friend did a emergency stops, 90 mins later back at test centre, he got his fail cert. For reversing around corner, not proceeding fast enough...

19 hours ago, slotter47 said:

Remember in a pre test lesson I was busy changing gear and giving a hand signal when the instructer commented "it might be a good idea if at least one hand was on the steering wheel".

I did the same thing on my test. Immediately thought I'd failed.....but passed.

On 04/10/2019 at 10:12, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Anyone have any funny stories about passing their driving test? I was eight months pregnant and I think the examiner was worried he might have to act as midwife!!!

Were you labouring in gear?