Can The Courts Give Your Fines Money Away?

About two years ago I can done for speeding, every month I paid the fine like clock work then near to the end of paying the fine unknown to me the banks had a problem and the payment wasn't made, the only way I found out was when I got a letter from Marston Bailiffs.

As there wasn't much left to pay on the fine I paid it on line as the Courts refused to accept any payments over the phone, so I thought that was it the fine has been paid in full and the Bailiffs was stopped.

How wrong was I ???

Out of the blue and nearly two years later I got a letter from the DWP stating the Courts has ask for deductions from my money to pay a fine. I have had no paper work from the Courts saying anything about this

I was a bit puzzle so I phone up the Courts and was told the it was £78 I still owe, £78 of my fines money that the Courts had sent to Marstons .

I would like to know if

1/ Can courts refuse to take payments over the phone.

2/ Are there allowed to send your fines money to some 3rd party.

3/ Are there allowed to not inform you that you still owe anything or there is a problem after all this time.

4/ Can there just do this, ask DWP for direct deductions from my money without sending any paper work out first.

Thanks Bob.