Council Switchboard, Can't Get Through At All

just can't get through on council switchboard, its an important issue, non payment of traffic violation, 40 mins then just get cut off, ridiculous.

A friend of mine had the same problem. He got so hacked off trying to contact them he ended up just paying the fine to save the aggregation.

this is the switchboard, not the parking unit, many others must be having the same issue.

14 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

just can't get through on council switchboard, its an important issue, non payment of traffic violation, 40 mins then just get cut off, ridiculous.

It’s been like that for ages.

If/when you do get through ask for a direct number and write it down.

It's nearly impossible to contact the council on the phone- I've never managed to get through. I think they could be legally challenged on it personally- they're not providing any way for constituents to contact them. 

I had an issue that was urgent, tried for days. In the end I got in touch with my MP who was able to sort it out. I'd recommend doing the same - not only does it get the issue tackled, it also highlights the problem. 

The council are happy to send threatening letters that worry people, often unduly, but with no way to talk to them about it, it provides serious mental distress to people. I liken it to a bullying tactic personally. 

22 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If/when you do get through ask for a direct number and write it down.

Then post it here incase anyone else needs it.

5 minutes ago, geared said:

Then post it here incase anyone else needs it.

A few years ago a mate of mine who worked at the Moor Buildings gave me a photocopy of an old SCC internal directory. With only one exception, every single person who answered a direct line snapped “How did you get this number?” at me.

There is virtually no concept of public service from many council employees who seem to need the switchboard as a barrier between them and the public who after all pay their wages. The reason I acquired the internal phone book was that some switchboard operatives would ask me for my date of birth before connecting me. When being told that this was absolutely none of their business they immediately disconnected the call.

i phoned yesterday, got straight through the menu, and was answered in under 2 minutes..

query answered and issue resolved in under 5 mins....

My experience of being  able to get through to Sheffield council is very poor. 

I've given up on reporting fly tipping, blocked gulleys and street lights that are out.  There is a bank of lights out on the parkway that has been this way for months. If there is a major accident the council will probably say "no one reported any issues". 

On the website, if you don't have a Sheffield post code you cannot report anything by that method. The system prevents it.  

How the residents tolerate it I don't know. 

Edited by Janus
typo

Just phoned it out of interest it was answered within seconds ,Im assuming people are aware its not monitered 24 hrs a day 7 days a week /only office hours.

Where abouts on the Parkway are the lights out ?

http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgCommitteeMailingList.aspx?ID=0

if you cant get through then use the councillors .

Which number is it people are using?

could be the councillors read this thread!

11 mins and waiting, parking services

Got through, now ringing 101 about my car, 40 mins and waiting.

riciculous