Finding Somewhere To Live - Is Low Edges Still A Rough Area?

Hi I'm new to this forum and the city.

I am looking for a rental house in Sheffield - preferably with a private landlord.

There is a house up for rent in Low Edges Drive....I Googled the area and it seems to have a bit of a reputation for being rough, at least I have found posts on the internet from about 5-10 years ago saying it is not safe there. Would you consider this a suitable place to live? I'm going to be living alone.  I'd be most interested to hear from people who live or have lived there. I looked on the Crime Statistics website to try and get a bit of perspective on it. It says there were 2 violent crimes on Low Edges Drive in August. 

Thanks  very much in advance for any input.

Edited by Anna84

Hi Anna. Like many council estates in Sheffield there are unfortunately some forms of low life existing on the Low Edges estate. however, there are many good honesty folk in that location. My son lived on Low Edges for a few years, never encountered any problems where he lived. My advice would be to do some door knocking around there and ask folks opinion of what it is like in that location. There are as you must be aware many other areas in this city offering rented houses. If you have any doubts at all about Low Edges, then look further for piece of mind.

HI ANNA

as sec of the lowedges tara,also chair of the friends of greenhill park as i run sheffields biggest festival ,thats the lowedges festival in greenhill park each august and chair of the south of sheffield events ,which run the local bonfire each year,so i know the area,i agree its whats the neighbours are like,is it next to flats ect,check first,but the areas a normal average crime rate,it has plenty of activities,plenty of pubs/clubs nearby,can get cut off in deep snow,20 min drive to bakewell,nice walks ect,but check the neighbours,shops look a bit shabby but some good deals,plenty of supermarkets near and theres the new st james shopping centre,i have lived there many years,its better now than 10 years ago and the 2 incidents were partly due to other areas,so hope you join us thanks

32 minutes ago, bassett one said:

HI ANNA

as sec of the lowedges tara,also chair of the friends of greenhill park as i run sheffields biggest festival ,thats the lowedges festival in greenhill park each august and chair of the south of sheffield events ,which run the local bonfire each year,so i know the area,i agree its whats the neighbours are like,is it next to flats ect,check first,but the areas a normal average crime rate,it has plenty of activities,plenty of pubs/clubs nearby,can get cut off in deep snow,20 min drive to bakewell,nice walks ect,but check the neighbours,shops look a bit shabby but some good deals,plenty of supermarkets near and theres the new st james shopping centre,i have lived there many years,its better now than 10 years ago and the 2 incidents were partly due to other areas,so hope you join us thanks

That has got to be the best and most informative reply to a SF ‘Where to live?’ thread. 👍

Thanks so much everyone for the kind replies. I went to visit the place this afternoon prior to the viewing and it has a dingy looking block of flats right next to it. I decided it is not a very nice setting so I will cancel my viewing.