Conflict Of Routers

Hi. I live in a semi detached house,myself and next door are both  with talktalk  and have the same routers. I pick up WiFi all round the house on my iPad connecting to my router but my mobile phone will not show my router but shows next doors and I can connect to there’s with no problem. This also applies to my desk top computer wirelessly.  Why am I getting this ?  Please can you help and come up with a solution. We get on with our next door and this is why we have there log on details .

Go to Settings, Wi-Fi, CHOOSE A NETWORK/other then put your router’s name and password in manually.

Have you at anytime accidentally or otherwise, hit ‘FORGET THIS NETWORK’ on your phone. The problem is obviously with the phone rather than the router as there seems to be no problem with your iPad.

Obvious I know, but have you tried re-booting both your phone and the router?

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel on the router?

If it's the same router model then it may have been set up on the same channel and cause interference.

How do I check channels and is it somethink I can do or does talktalk do it at there end.  

14 minutes ago, regblind said:

How do I check channels and is it somethink I can do or does talktalk do it at there end.  

No, you do it at your end. It’s virtually the same process as changing your router name or password. It’s worth changing channels, as your channel is assigned at random and may be shared with another nearby router which will slow your data speeds down.

I believe you can now download a phone app which can analyse all open channels in your location. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I believe you can now download a phone app which can analyse all open channels in your location. 

Yep.

It's called "WiFi Analyzer"

Sounds like multiple issues here.

Firstly, and most importantly, you’re able to access your neighbours wifi. Not good. This in itself needs resolution.

Is their wifi not password protected, or do you have their password, or is it possibly the same password as your own router? Maybe discuss / explain to your neighbour what’s been happening, and suggest they change the password on their router?

The second issue you seem to have is devices not finding your own network. Depending on device, you should be able to enter the wifi name manually as you connect to wifi.

re: Changing wifi password or channel as suggested above. You’ll need to login to your router’s admin page. Should be something like 192.168.1.1 in a browser (on a device using your routers wifi), exact address may be on back of router or with documents emails from your ISP.

Edited by Waldo