Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

7 minutes ago, Mrspittthree said:

Does anyone know the current Sheffield road situation, we’ve been told to check routes and leave the office ??

Check the windows?   Its a light drizzle. 

It's more than a "Light Drizzle" in Woodhouse !

18 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Do the insurance policies actually state   "through an act of god", if they do can they prove god exists ?

In 50-odd years of buying insurance policies, I don't recall ever coming across the phrase. 

Barnsley road between deerlands Avenue and colley road is bad now with blown manhole covers as well 

been a while since i have been on here but i would like to comment about the severe flooding on Woodseats i firmly believe that sheffield city council are responsible for it because they have let the lakes in graves park silt up so when it rains they cannot hold onto excess water all they need to do to resolve it is empty the lake and dredge all the silt out 

I don't thing the issue is the lakes, but rather the grate at the bottom of the stream near the playground. In periods of excess rainfall, especially in the autumn when leaves add to the problem, I expect the grate get blocked and the water has no where to go except out onto Chesterfield Road. Regular cleaning of the grate would seem appropriate. 

4 hours ago, craigmason said:

been a while since i have been on here but i would like to comment about the severe flooding on Woodseats i firmly believe that sheffield city council are responsible for it because they have let the lakes in graves park silt up so when it rains they cannot hold onto excess water all they need to do to resolve it is empty the lake and dredge all the silt out 

Seriously? There's the boating lake and a couple of other little ones.

19 hours ago, craigmason said:

Attempts by the Environment Agency, supported by the Council to reduce flooding in Sheffield are continually thwarted by the Environmentalists.

1)Opposition to using the former natural floodplains to reduce peak flow.

2)The disastrous effects of  the 2007 flood compounded by environmentally friendly pressure groups. 

None of the rivers in our area are natural. They need managing properly for the benefit of all and everything- not loud single issue groups of wannabe politicals.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I was in Lincolnshire over the weekend to see the thousands of seals at Donna Nook

It was really sad to see all the flooded fields, still an issue over there, despite no longer being newsworthy on TV.

57 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

It was really sad to see all the flooded fields, still an issue over there, despite no longer being newsworthy on TV.

It was given heightened news coverage largely because the election campaign had just started, and all parties were busting a gut to show how much they cared about ‘the North’.

Now normal service has been resumed.