Jump to content

Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

Recommended Posts

Indeed, tea and medals for everyone who fought against a months worth of rain in 24 hours. I've seen the pictures and "biblical" wasn't far off it.

 

Cap tip too  to DPD local who despite being right in the thick of it (just on the other side of the M1 from meadowhall) the driver collected my parcels and lorry got to the hub on time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to drive  from Parkway-along Shalesmore-up Penistone Rd/Halifax Rd to Cowper estate area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is a time for the would've, should've brigade. It's a hard call for anyone to precisely predict weather and it's pattern. Over egg it and accusations of scaremongering, get it wrong and slated. I think we should instead focus and applaud the services who had to be out there, the kind neighbours who helped families. My heart goes out to those flooded or affected. Their nightmare will be lasting a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Richard.

Edited by Janus
Error post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Am not one for overreacting to bad weather but Meadowhall should be held to account here the issues were growing from the morning and with the forecast for continued rain all day and evening it was highly likely that theses problems would worsen and cause serious travel issues in the evening so why were they so late to cancel the event?

Those stranded at Meadowhall (including a friend) have complained at the lack of blankets/refreshments - they had to buy their own apparently. Look North have have just reported that Meadowhall have refused an interview or to issue a statement today. Disgusting really, about time we all voted with our feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sheffteach said:

Those stranded at Meadowhall (including a friend) have complained at the lack of blankets/refreshments - they had to buy their own apparently. Look North have have just reported that Meadowhall have refused an interview or to issue a statement today. Disgusting really, about time we all voted with our feet. 

I just watched Look North. They read out a statement issued by Meadowhall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sheffteach said:

Those stranded at Meadowhall (including a friend) have complained at the lack of blankets/refreshments - they had to buy their own apparently. Look North have have just reported that Meadowhall have refused an interview or to issue a statement today. Disgusting really, about time we all voted with our feet. 

I'm not sure I understand what's disgusting. Meadowhall are not a hotel they are not a homeless shelter or the red cross or the national health service.  They don't own nor control any of the stock or supplies in which to give out to people.

 

The flooding is not the fault of meadowhall it's a natural occurrence from extreme weather conditions.  It caught everyone off guard including the centre.

 

The police were the ones who forced people back inside until it was safe for them to leave.  Meadowhall reacted as best they could.

 

Im sure it is inconvenient that people may have had to buy food or a few basic supplies but that's just part of life.   It was just as inconvenient for those of us whose bus routes and tram routes suddenly stopped running and were supposed to find spend money on alternative ways home or for those of us who had to find and pay for alternative accommodation because we couldn't get home.

 

I really don't get what voting with your feet will achieve as it's completely against the wrong target.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I'm not sure I understand what's disgusting. Meadowhall are not a hotel they are not a homeless shelter or the red cross or the national health service.  They don't own nor control any of the stock or supplies in which to give out to people.

 

The flooding is not the fault of meadowhall it's a natural occurrence from extreme weather conditions.  It caught everyone off guard including the centre.

 

The police were the ones who forced people back inside until it was safe for them to leave.  Meadowhall reacted as best they could.

 

Im sure it is inconvenient that people may have had to buy food or a few basic supplies but that's just part of life.   It was just as inconvenient for those of us whose bus routes and tram routes suddenly stopped running and were supposed to find spend money on alternative ways home or for those of us who had to find and pay for alternative accommodation because we couldn't get home.

 

I really don't get what voting with your feet will achieve as it's completely against the wrong target.

Excellent post, I agree entirely.

 

Meadowhall were quite within their rights to close the doors at the proper time and ask the customers to leave?

 

The staff stayed on and catered for the people who were there. Everything incurs  a cost, nothing is free.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sedith said:

Excellent post, I agree entirely.

 

Meadowhall were quite within their rights to close the doors at the proper time and ask the customers to leave?

 

The staff stayed on and catered for the people who were there. Everything incurs  a cost, nothing is free.

 

 

I agree entirely.

Who in their right mind would go to a place that has flooded before when there is an amber flood alert in place ? 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think meadowhall expected it to get that bad last night which still leaves them no excuse for sending out a press release at 9am this morning to say they were open as usual. I came off at j34  gone ten this morning and it was blocked by policeso encouraging people to try and get there was ridiculous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, neeeeeeeeeek said:

I don't think meadowhall expected it to get that bad last night which still leaves them no excuse for sending out a press release at 9am this morning to say they were open as usual. I came off at j34  gone ten this morning and it was blocked by policeso encouraging people to try and get there was ridiculous! 

But they were open as usual.   They were perfectly entitled to send out such message. 

 

Just because some parts of the area are still flooded and have problems does not mean all is.    I had to get back to work as usual this morning and so did many others.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.