Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

Meadowhall must have known by lunchtime there would be serious issues.

Plain greed.

BBC reporting a womans body found in the Derwent.

22 minutes ago, Stranza said:

Meadowhall must have known by lunchtime there would be serious issues.

Plain greed.

BBC reporting a womans body found in the Derwent.

How would they know?  All the flood warning say be prepared, not that flooding was a 100% yes it will happen warning.  I live next to the river and the police officer who was patrolling it said it would breach the banks last night  It didn't.  Its an opinion.

As to their being greedy.  Like most shops Christmas is the time they make their money that keeps them in business the rest of the year.  So what you might call being greedy, they might see as surviving.  Its individuals who must make the best decisions for themselves, they know where they have to travel to and from, and if it could be an issue.

Edited by avalunche

They took a chance and it went bad, but it was down to people to decide to go or not.

Edited by geared

3 minutes ago, avalunche said:

How would they know?  All the flood warning say be prepared, not that flooding was a 100% yes it will happen warning.  I live next to the river and the police officer who was patrolling it said it would breach the banks last night  It didn't.  Its an opinion.

As to their being greedy.  Like most shops Christmas is the time they make their money that keeps them in business the rest of the year.  So what you might call being greedy, they might see as surviving.  Its individuals who must make the best decisions for themselves, they know where they have to travel to and from, and if it could be an issue.

I suppose it's easy to make that call when it's not going to lose you thousands of pounds.

What's the latest on roads  from city centre to get to shirecliffe please?

5 minutes ago, Jason302 said:

If you ask Google for a route map it actually takes into account current traffic conditions.

10 minutes ago, avalunche said:

If you ask Google for a route map it actually takes into account current traffic conditions.

Taa mate 

32 minutes ago, Jason302 said:

Not bad at all

2 hours ago, 1978 said:

How bad does it have to get for a red warning? Yesterday surely called fora  higher level of caution than amber implies.

I think its because we have had a few amber alerts in the past that came to nowt - snow earlier this year for example. Having said that surely 15:45 Meadowhall should have realised it was going to go wrong - they were still inviting people down!

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think its because we have had a few amber alerts in the past that came to nowt - snow earlier this year for example. Having said that surely 15:45 Meadowhall should have realised it was going to go wrong - they were still inviting people down!

Get it wrong and there's Hell to pay.

Yesterday was exceptional weather. 

Personally I'd like to thank all the people who tried very hard to keep things moving, and yes, I was out in the thick of it.

Public transport:

Supertram: 

Blue route: Halfway-Malin Bridge running normally

Purple route: Herdings Park-Cathedral running normally

Yellow route: Middlewood-Meadowhall. Terminating at Meadowhall South and not serving Meadowhall Interchange. Subject to delays with single track operation Arena-Tinsley.

Tram Train: Rotherham Parkgate-Sheffield Cathedral: Suspended, railway line flooded in the Rotherham area.

Trains

Lines to Doncaster, Wakefield Westgate and Lincoln closed due to flooding. Leeds via Barnsley, Manchester, Nottingham and Derby open. See www.nationalrail.co.uk for latest.

Buses

See disruptions page at travelsouthyorkshire.com for latest. Most problems now are just around Meadowhall.

Edited by Andy C

Indeed, tea and medals for everyone who fought against a months worth of rain in 24 hours. I've seen the pictures and "biblical" wasn't far off it.

Cap tip too  to DPD local who despite being right in the thick of it (just on the other side of the M1 from meadowhall) the driver collected my parcels and lorry got to the hub on time.