Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

On 10/11/2019 at 09:52, spuggy said:

I think it’s because the SAG doesn’t have any powers to call the event off - the clue is in the middle word - advisory. If the event organiser chooses to ignore advice given then they would have to justify their decision in Court etc should anything subsequently go wrong. 

Meadowhall Live is a private event on private land and as such the event organiser is responsible for the safety of it. 

http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/safety-advisory-groups.htm

SAGs provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at an event. They aim to help organisers with the planning, and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies. They are non-statutory bodies and so do not have legal powers or responsibilities, and are not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. Event organisers and others involved in the running of an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety.

On 08/11/2019 at 19:32, ECCOnoob said:

I'm not sure I understand what's disgusting. Meadowhall are not a hotel they are not a homeless shelter or the red cross or the national health service.  They don't own nor control any of the stock or supplies in which to give out to people.

The flooding is not the fault of meadowhall it's a natural occurrence from extreme weather conditions.  It caught everyone off guard including the centre.

The police were the ones who forced people back inside until it was safe for them to leave.  Meadowhall reacted as best they could.

Im sure it is inconvenient that people may have had to buy food or a few basic supplies but that's just part of life.   It was just as inconvenient for those of us whose bus routes and tram routes suddenly stopped running and were supposed to find spend money on alternative ways home or for those of us who had to find and pay for alternative accommodation because we couldn't get home.

I really don't get what voting with your feet will achieve as it's completely against the wrong target.

Meadowhall was encouraging people to attend long after it was clear to everyone flooding was a very real and present danger. So its a bit much for them to say its not our responsibility if people are trapped in the shopping centre due to flooding!

Guest makapaka
8 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

In case this thread does not already mention the BBC Radio Sheffield Floods Appeal, donations can be made via https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/syfloods

Nice sentiment but a disgrace that its needed.

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

True. But I do hope that nobody knowingly left an insurable property uninsured.

I think some did because after the last floods the premiums increased to the point they could no longer afford to insure.

It's not just the cost. I live within 300 mts of a river, although >50 mts above it, and have had some companies refuse to give me cover.  

Not sure if it is flood related but the Yellow Trams aren't going to Meadowhall until further  notice and the tram-train isn't running either.

Rain and sleet predicted for Thursday 14th

20 hours ago, nightrider said:

I think some did because after the last floods the premiums increased to the point they could no longer afford to insure.

I think it said the woman who lost her business and house couldn't get insurance.

Do the insurance policies actually state   "through an act of god", if they do can they prove god exists ?

23 hours ago, taxman said:

Not sure if it is flood related but the Yellow Trams aren't going to Meadowhall until further  notice and the tram-train isn't running either.

Rain and sleet predicted for Thursday 14th

They haven't since last Thursday, tis a flood thing.

Does anyone know the current Sheffield road situation, we’ve been told to check routes and leave the office ??