Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

15 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Did they give people notice to move their cars several weeks in advance? If so they should have towed them away at the owners expense?

No i dont believe they ever have or do, leaf sweeper is a little scarab type thing and gulley cleaners are probably contracted.

If anyone is thinking of driving around the city on main routes my advice would be don’t . It’s bad now and will get much worse .

2007 again?

Can you still view the council traffic cameras ? I’ve tried looking for them but they seem to be dated 3 years ago.

Millhouses park is now closed to the public as it's about to flood. 

10 minutes ago, atticus said:

If anyone is thinking of driving around the city on main routes my advice would be don’t . It’s bad now and will get much worse .

2007 again?

It could be if the river(s) break their banks.  Luckily, at present, it appears to be mainly surface water, so fingers crossed.  However, I believe the forecast for the next few days is rain so it's not looking promising.

Can we keep the bickering out of this please - people need to know which areas are impassible. If you want to discuss drains then do it on another thread please. 

Yep I second this.

In town the only bit of surface water (biggish puddle) was in front of the train station.

The only issue we’ll have in town is if the rivers burst their banks .   

1 hour ago, avalunche said:

Funny they used the word gates.  Floodgates?   Meadowhall has doors not gates.

Can report the Don at Kelham is quite high and moving very fast.

Metal flood barriers were installed around Meadowhall on the river side after the 2007 floods; you can see them around the back of the Oasis.  They also replaced the iron gates on the footbridge to protect the road when the wall on Meadowhall Road was built up as part of the flood defences following the floods.

1 minute ago, Shazbat said:

Metal flood barriers were installed around Meadowhall on the river side after the 2007 floods; you can see them around the back of the Oasis.  They also replaced the iron gates on the footbridge to protect the road when the wall on Meadowhall Road was built up as part of the flood defences following the floods.

Yeah, you're taking it out of context.  They said the gates open at 4pm for their Christmas event.    I'm pretty sure they don't mean flood defense gates.

Ive taken a picture of the Don at 2:35 and one at 3:50 of the same spot, and it definitely is slowly rising.   Not sure how I can post it here though?

FLOOD ALERT:UNITE STUDENT ACCOMMODATION KELHAM ISLAND

Car park under unite students have been told to move their cars to safety.

Please inform anyone you know who.lives there