Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

27 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I don't disagree - I don't know if that happens either.

But what if someone came to look at the drain for its monthly / bi monthly / yearly maintenance and it was clear but now it's not? 

Given people are reporting blocked drains all over the city I doubt its that they check regularly and just got unlucky in so many places.

Meadowhall are going ahead with their Christmas thing tonight as well. Horribly dangerous with that Flood Warning in Place.

Edited by Groose

9 minutes ago, Groose said:

Gates to the event will be open from 4pm

Funny they used the word gates.  Floodgates?   Meadowhall has doors not gates.

Can report the Don at Kelham is quite high and moving very fast.

10 minutes ago, Groose said:

Meadowhall are going ahead with their Christmas thing tonight as well. Horribly dangerous with that Flood Warning in Place.

Total madness.

........    and anybody who goes to this event wants their head testing.

53 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Given people are reporting blocked drains all over the city I doubt its that they check regularly and just got unlucky in so many places.

We had the gulley clearers come on my road about a month ago followed by the leaf sweepers. I live close to the bottom of the hill.

The grates and gulleys they really needed to get to clean were blocked by parked cars. So now we have a river flowing along the footpath.

9 minutes ago, willman said:

We had the gulley clearers come on my road about a month ago followed by the leaf sweepers. I live close to the bottom of the hill.

The grates and gulleys they really needed to get to clean were blocked by parked cars. So now we have a river flowing along the footpath.

Did they give people notice to move their cars several weeks in advance? If so they should have towed them away at the owners expense?

Anyone know if Hunters Bar is clear? need to plan another route home if its flooded.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Theres a portal on the SCC website where you can report it and they come out to repair.

Yes, will check my road later today on the way home and report any blocked ones I spot. As others said though this is not really a suitable remedy for widespread failure to perform adequate regular maintenance.

Word of warning. I’ve just returned home from town and the don and sheaf are about 3/4 foot from breaking banks.. 

7 minutes ago, molecularbob said:

Anyone know if Hunters Bar is clear? need to plan another route home if its flooded.

No idea, but in general people are posting videos of flooding in many low lying areas of sheffield today:

https://twitter.com/search?q=Sheffield flood&src=typeahead_click&f=live

Best be careful as it is not forecast to stop raining until early tomorrow morning.