Flood Alerts Sheffield Autumn 2019

Out of interest, where is the Middle River Don?

In 2007 it was Penistone Road and Meadowhall Road where the Don burst its banks.

If you look on the map it shows you how far the Middle stretches.  Rawmarsh to Sheffield City Centre.

Thanks.

Google Maps just has it down as the River Don from Mexborough to Oughtibridge. (which is as far as I could be bothered looking!)

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Thanks.

Google Maps just has it down as the River Don from Mexborough to Oughtibridge. (which is as far as I could be bothered looking!)

Oughtibridge is classed as Upper River Don.  The map on the Flood Warnings page shows the Middle Part :)

We walked the Sheffield Blue Loop yesterday (yes, had it mostly to ourselves!) and the Don was so high, rushing so fast, nearly touching sidewalks in many places.  And the sculptures in the river near the Holiday Inn Express were mostly swept away, only one remaining later in afternoon.

in 2007 the Oughtibridge stretch was in my friend's garage, that is definitely upper Don

the stretch at Mexborough was right up to the top of the flood defence wall & over into the field at the other side, not sure how bad it was at Doncaster itself, but I'd hazard a guess it was over the top there too, so based on that I'd say it was all stretches that had bust their banks

I remember driving down Penistone Road in 2007 and all the cars parked on the pavements and traffic islands had water inside their headlights like little fish bowls. And you can still see the new brickwork on the wall of the B&Q car park which collapsed.

Wondered exactly where the problem was.  Just hope they clear it before tomorrow, otherwise I'll have problems getting down south.🙂

27 minutes ago, bus man said:

Services to chesterfield from Sheffield both directions  delayed

http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/details/00798DB9AF894331BAB7D4A7DAC5125F

National Rail

Latest travel news

"All lines have been reopened following heavy rain flooding the railway between Chesterfield and Sheffield earlier today.

Services may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised.

We anticipate disruption will continue until 14:30."

Just reading that don has burst it’s banks at Meadowhall