Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

Tracklogs Has Disappeared

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Capjockey said:

Thanks for the offer. Looks like I can't PM you just yet as I haven't posted enough messages

Forgive the extra post...

 

I suppose you can receive PMs, so I've sent you one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivor,

Thank you so much for your help. My investment in UK mapping is no longer down the pan and I can use TrackLogs with my GPS again. Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2020 at 07:27, Temuchin said:

[As a general point, it's worth bearing in mind that the Tracklogs maps we all have are now likely to be well out of date and will, of course, remain so.]

I bought my maps back in 2014 but I have no idea how old they were then.  The copyright when you print from Tracklogs is (c) 2020 but that's just the software going by the date on the computer  For walking purposes I have found them to be still accurate enough.  Heck, before Tracklogs I used paper maps of the Peak District I bought back in the early 1990s.  But road changes are a different matter.  In fact even the official OS online maps still do not reflect road changes made in my part of West Kent two years ago! 

Edited by Stephen1789
correct spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Capjockey said:

Ivor,

Thank you so much for your help. My investment in UK mapping is no longer down the pan and I can use TrackLogs with my GPS again. Much appreciated.

Glad you got sorted.

 

I see that tracklogs.co.uk is still registered as a domain until 4th September, so it'll be interesting to see if they renew it (which I doubt!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stephen1789 said:

I bought my maps back in 2014 but I have no idea how old they were then.  The copyright when you print from Tracklogs is (c) 2020 but that's just the software going by the date on the computer  For walking purposes I have found them to be still accurate enough.  Heck, before Tracklogs I used paper maps of the Peak District I bought back in the early 1990s.  But road changes are a different matter.  In fact even the official OS online maps still do not reflect road changes made in my part of West Kent two years ago! 

It depends what you mean by " accurate enough for walking purposes": a walk my friend planned for us using Tracklogs would have involved a stop for lunch at a pub which is now closed - and that's a serious issue for me!

 

I use Viewranger for my routes and tracks now, and that seems to keep well up-to-date. Plus it gives maps down to what seems to be 1:1250, and I've found that useful for finding more obscure paths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is mainly for cycling. I like planning the country lanes with TrackLogs and using  GPS on the bike for making sure I get the right turns out on the road. I don’t actually need to carry the detailed OS maps with me and most of the small country roads don’t change over decades. But I do agree, finding the pub has disappeared can spoil lunch. Though that’s a different matter just now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks, just signed up to this forum for the same reason as some others - I am a long time Tracklogs user who has recently had occasion to reinstall it and found the company has gone! Hope this is an acceptable reason to join, as I dont live in Sheffield!

I have always run Tracklogs since around 2011 on a virtual Windows XP system and recently decided to move it onto my virtual Win 10 system (both on MacOS) as I thought it was about time, and last year Tracklogs support confirmed it would run fine on Windows 10 (I'm running 3.18.02).  Only just got around to moving it and like everyone, found they'd disappeared.

Had a very useful read through the posts here, and since I didnt have the .msi file for 3.18.02 I decided to just copy the entire "Program Files/Tracklogs" folder onto Win10 and just start it up.  It asked for my license code, and everything just worked. Just had to copy over my favourites and routes folders and point the program at them, and everything back to how I had it. Much easier than I was expecting! 

Thanks to folks on here for the useful info which pointed me in the right direction.  As others have said, the maps are of course way out of date now, but thats not a problem really as I know the areas I walk in pretty well and have access to the current OS maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hopbackguy said:

Hi folks, just signed up to this forum for the same reason as some others - I am a long time Tracklogs user who has recently had occasion to reinstall it and found the company has gone! Hope this is an acceptable reason to join, as I dont live in Sheffield!

I live in Tunbridge Wells!  I have put the full installation program for 3.18.02 on my Google drive.  It has setup.exe and TrackLogsDigitalMappingV3_18_02.msi and works just fine on version 1909 of Windows 10 Pro.  It is about 24MB in size.  Let me know by PM if you would like to download it.  Then you will have a working installation program should you need it in the future

On 04/06/2020 at 16:20, Temuchin said:

I use Viewranger for my routes and tracks now, and that seems to keep well up-to-date. Plus it gives maps down to what seems to be 1:1250, and I've found that useful for finding more obscure paths.

How much is that?  I use GPS Outdoors, which is a subscription service for £19.99 a year.    From its web site it looks as though it has richer functionality than GPS Outdoors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stephen1789 said:

How much is that?  I use GPS Outdoors, which is a subscription service for £19.99 a year.    From its web site it looks as though it has richer functionality than GPS Outdoors. 

I joined Viewranger last September at £24.99 a year for "Premium + OS Maps for GB", and using the phone app as my GPS. I've put up 4 screenshots of Tunbridge Wells to give you an idea of the zoom levels available:

 

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZl7kEkZEXOyj3Y9yIhMHIrvqMsPjFwo4Pz7

 

In fact, the subscription also gives mapping on quite a detailed road-level for the whole world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2020 at 08:53, Temuchin said:

I've put up 4 screenshots of Tunbridge Wells to give you an idea of the zoom levels available:

Thank you.  I think I'll consider changing to that when my subscription to GPS Outdoors expires in November

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the offers of help, but as a new user I cant send a PM

If I can receive one that would be great and very appreciated

 

Cheers

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 13:16, Stephen1789 said:

....  Let me know by PM if you would like to download it.  . 

Many thanks for the offer Stephen, but I'm not allowed to PM yet as a new user - could you PM me please? Thanks, Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.