Tracklogs Has Disappeared

15 hours ago, DavidJL said:

Hi Roger,

Could you possibly clarify what the CW discount is and where it is available please? £15 for an OS map subscription is a very good price.

Thanks

David

David,

In case Roger is not monitoring this topic, from what I can see you need a subscription to CW magazine (https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/country-walking-magazine) and that enables you to get half price sub to OS Maps, but whether that entails a full subscription (£61 for 26 issues) or trial or single-issue subscription I don't know.

IH

On 19/04/2020 at 04:28, Temuchin said:

David,

In case Roger is not monitoring this topic, from what I can see you need a subscription to CW magazine (https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/country-walking-magazine) and that enables you to get half price sub to OS Maps, but whether that entails a full subscription (£61 for 26 issues) or trial or single-issue subscription I don't know.

IH

Thank you very much.  IH

Hi I saw this thread when trying to find out what happened to the Tracklogs site and signed up to respond.  I have been a user of Tracklogs over ten years.  Several years ago as a 50th birthday present to myself bought the entire collection of maps - well over 600! - for the princely sum of £240, which worked out at about 40p a map.  I have the full installation program for the map viewer that came with that, version 3.18.02,  which appears to be the latest version, even though it is dated 2013.   I can confirm that the installation still works and does not check with tracklogs.co.uk that the licence key is valid.  I am happy to put this on my Google drive for anyone who wants to install the map viewer to gain access to the maps they have already purchased. I can confirm also that the map viewer works fine with version 1909 of Windows 10 with the exception of the 3d maps which won;t use my GPU.  

I am pretty ****** off that they just shut down the site with no explanation, which is pretty shoddy behaviour.   The least they could have done is put up some bromide web site saying that owning to business circumstances they must wind up the company and thanking their customers, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I consider it to be a brilliant product and I used it all the time to plan walks all over the UK.  But clearly its price model wasn't going to work any more.  On my iPad and iPhone I have installed GPS Outdoors which for a subscription of £19.99 a year gives me all 600+ OS 1:25,000 maps.  Its functionality is inferior to Tracklogs but then it is a mobile app so I can actually take it with me on walks.  I do not regret buying Tracklogs and will continue to use it for as long as I can continue to walk or the maps become too outdated to use.  I have an archive of a few hundred walks so it will be used for many years to come. 

Hi Stephen,

I agree with everything you say. IMO Tracklogs had the best user interface by far and yes it was a great product. 

The manner in which the website was closed down was indeed shoddy and reflects very badly on the owners at the time of closure. They have been totally unresponsive to my requests for some type of support for loyal customers such as yourself, who invested not an inconsiderable amount of money in their product.

All we can do is try to provide support for other users who suddenly find themselves abandoned by this company. 

Best regards and enjoy the walks.

19 hours ago, DavidJL said:

They have been totally unresponsive to my requests for some type of support for loyal customers such as yourself, who invested not an inconsiderable amount of money in their product.

Hi David,

Fortunately they didn't implement an online validation of the licence key of the map reader software, then we really would be buggered.  I have a 'permanent licence' for an indexing application but the darned thing validates my licence over the internet every time I run it.  If the company ever goes out of business, I lose the use of the software I've paid for.  As I said, I am happy to make available to anyone who needs it the latest version of the map reader software.  It should work fine with their existing licence key.  They should send me a message via the forum and I can send them a link to my Google drive from where it can be downloaded. 

Even if the reader software stops working with future versions of Windows, one could always create a virtue machine running an older version of windows (e.g. Windows 7or XP) just to run Tracklogs!  Provided the VM has no internet access, that would be fine.  We should be able to safeguard our existing investment in Tracklog maps, despite the absence of any help from Tracklogs. 

Thanks I will enjoy the walks! 

Stephen

Hi All, I'm in the same position as everyone else. I've been a customer for 20 years and I was going to install on my laptop today and its gone. Like you I have loads of 1:25 & 1:50 maps and old routes I don't want to lose

Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of the latest software 3.18?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Hello, new to this forum, but I stumbled across it when I was also having problems finding tracklogs.co.uk. I have v3.18 but not the installer, so I’d be stuck if/when myPC dies.

If there’s a way of sharing maps and licences, I have OS 50k south east England and the two Peaks maps in 25k to share.

20 hours ago, winerwalker said:

Hello, new to this forum, but I stumbled across it when I was also having problems finding tracklogs.co.uk. I have v3.18 but not the installer, so I’d be stuck if/when myPC dies.

If there’s a way of sharing maps and licences, I have OS 50k south east England and the two Peaks maps in 25k to share.

Please PM me or/and Stephen1789 if you'd like to progress this matter.

[As a general point, it's worth bearing in mind that the Tracklogs maps we all have are now likely to be well out of date and will, of course, remain so.]

Similar position for me. I bought TrackLogs a few years ago with full UK mapping. I've recently installed it on a new PC ok but it refuses to talk to my current Garmin and won't save the files to GPX so I can manually transfer them.

My version is 3.11. 

Is it true that version 3.18 will save to GPX?

20 hours ago, Capjockey said:

Similar position for me. I bought TrackLogs a few years ago with full UK mapping. I've recently installed it on a new PC ok but it refuses to talk to my current Garmin and won't save the files to GPX so I can manually transfer them.

My version is 3.11. 

Is it true that version 3.18 will save to GPX?

Yes, 3.18 will save to GPX. Please PM me if you wish to progress this mattter...

Thanks for the offer. Looks like I can't PM you just yet as I haven't posted enough messages

Forgive the extra post...