Electric Cycle Maintenance

I’ve had an electric bike now for a couple years.  Recently after riding about 100 yards or so the electrics cut out. I took it to James Cycles and Halfords to see if they could check it out but they won’t entertain it as I didn’t buy it from them. I contacted the place where I bought it from but they don’t do the model anymore. I am now looking for someone to check out the electric system and if I can’t find anyone my bike will be next to useless. Can anyone help please.

Edited by nikki-red

I would suggest an auto electrician before taking it to a cycle shop if it is an electrical fault.

When you say that the electrics ‘cut out’ have you checked the obvious stuff like fuses and the state of charge of the battery.

16 hours ago, bogweed said:

I’ve had an electric bike now for a couple years.  Recently after riding about 100 yards or so the electrics cut out. I took it to James Cycles and Halfords to see if they could check it out but they won’t entertain it as I didn’t buy it from them. I contacted the place where I bought it from but they don’t do the model anymore. I am now looking for someone to check out the electric system and if I can’t find anyone my bike will be next to useless. Can anyone help please.

I don't think James's Cycles are interested in anything other than selling bikes.  I took my mountain bike in to them for a "service" a few years ago.  The bike is quite old now, maybe 15 years old, but it's a good quality bike, it's a Trek superlight carbon, full-suspension, bike and it cost me about £2.5k when new.  They were'nt interested in servicing it and said it needed about a thousand pounds worth of repairs.  This was wrong, that was wrong, the other was wrong...and so on.  I decided not to bother.  Instead I took it down to A E  Butterworth on Abbeydale Road.  The bloke did a full service on it and charged me a tenner!  I'm still riding it now without any problems at all.

Now, as to your issue with your "electric bike", that may be beyond the  skills of A E  Butterworth - but it's the first place in Sheffield I would try.  The bloke in there is so helpful and he won't mess you around or overcharge you.

Edited by DerbyTup

35 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I don't think James's Cycles are interested in anything other than selling bikes.  I took my mountain bike in to them for a "service" a few years ago.  The bike is quite old now, maybe 15 years old, but it's a good quality bike, it's a Trek superlight carbon, full-suspension, bike and it cost me about £2.5k when new.  They were'nt interested in servicing it and said it needed about a thousand pounds worth of repairs.  This was wrong, that was wrong, the other was wrong...and so on.  I decided not to bother.  Instead I took it down to A E  Butterworth on Abbeydale Road.  The bloke did a full service on it and charged me a tenner!  I'm still riding it now without any problems at all.

Now, as to your issue with your "electric bike", that may be beyond the  skills of A E  Butterworth - but it's the first place in Sheffield I would try.  The bloke in there is so helpful and he won't mess you around or overcharge you.

I see what you did there.

19 hours ago, bogweed said:

I have the same problem!!

’ve had an electric bike now for a couple years.  Recently after riding about 100 yards or so the electrics cut out. I took it to James Cycles and Halfords to see if they could check it out but they won’t entertain it as I didn’t buy it from them. I contacted the place where I bought it from but they don’t do the model anymore. I am now looking for someone to check out the electric system and if I can’t find anyone my bike will be next to useless. Can anyone help please.

All connections checked and they seem ok and battery fully charged. I wonder if it’s the control unit on handle bars although it’s a sealed unit

Try Tony Butterworth on Leppings Lane. Always helpful and seem to know a lot about ebike s.

1 hour ago, bogweed said:

All connections checked and they seem ok and battery fully charged. I wonder if it’s the control unit on handle bars although it’s a sealed unit

If all electrical activity has ceased it is probably a single connection that has failed somewhere.

What model is it? There may be an online service manual.

On 28/09/2019 at 08:09, Bargepole23 said:

I see what you did there.

😀  That's quite good that - I didn't know what you meant at first - but yes...definitely no pun intended!

Hello out there, does anybody know about e-bike maininence and battery cell replacement ? Or recommend someone with some know how. What happened to crispy menace from 2015 forum. Kenneth01142

This is the downside of having an electric bike as the battery deplete's or becomes a problem.

There great when they work.

Butterworths will probably not be able to do it, they are very good with bike's but electric ones are not there forte, I had a problem with mine but my battery is a Brompton and need's to be taken back to the dealer in my case JE James and it was under warrenty.

I'd not bother trying J.E James, previous comment about them not being interested in anything other than selling bikes, I'd suggest they aren't even that bothered about doing that.

Parts are usually cheaper and faster to obtain than they are going to James.

Halfords have had a big shuffle since the original post, I dare say they wouldn't mind having a look at it.  Otherwise look at independants like Butterworths, Sheffield Bike Repair, Russels bike shed or Expert Bike Repair in Rotherham.
Sheffield Bike Repair is run by a mate of mine, and I know for sure he's looked at a defective E-bike in the last week or so and fixed it.
https://www.sheffieldbikerepairs.co.uk/