Sheffield City Centre v Manchester City Centre

The Bullring and the Selfridges building in Birmingham are amazing, nothing that daring would ever get built in Sheffield though :(

I like they way they have mixed the old and new, whereas in Sheffield we tend to just demolish the old and build the new.

Quite a timely thread as it was ten years to the day that Manchester city centre was ripped apart by an IRA bomb.

If it wasn't for this happening I don't think Manchester would be the successful place it is today.

Picadilly is still a bit of a grotty place to sit and chill, but Great Northern and Castlefield more than make up for it.

Sheffield will NEVER be anywhere near Manchester when comparing its city centres...

Sheffield is too disjointed with its village mentalities and crap council who dont have the least bit of foresight and sensibility when it comes to planning...

Yeah you can argue that Sheffield isnt comparable due to its size, but compare the city to others of a similar size such as York or Leicester and its clear how far off Sheffield is...

That said i do love Sheffield having moved here from north Manchester 5 years ago,

It just needs to stop competing with the likes of Manchester and set its sights on becoming comparable to smaller cities that have worked...

Take note Sheffield council - stop punching above your weight !

Sheffield will NEVER be anywhere near Manchester when comparing its city centres...

Sheffield is too disjointed with its village mentalities and crap council who dont have the least bit of foresight and sensibility when it comes to planning...

Yeah you can argue that Sheffield isnt comparable due to its size, but compare the city to others of a similar size such as York or Leicester and its clear how far off Sheffield is...

That said i do love Sheffield having moved here from north Manchester 5 years ago,

It just needs to stop competing with the likes of Manchester and set its sights on becoming comparable to smaller cities that have worked...

Take note Sheffield council - stop punching above your weight !

I remember about 7 years ago when I came back to work in Sheffield, the then head of tourism in the city made a statement that she wanted Sheffield to be the next Barcelona. You could have cut that silence in the room with a knife after she said that!

But simple things such as free parking on a Sunday (what will that really cost) and a bit of street entertainment; work with Radio Sheffield to put on big screen entertainment on sunny days etc etc is all it needs. Not really rocket science; won't really cost that much; it will give the place a lift.

Having said that, it does help if the shops open as well.

The council does seem determined to stop people coming into town, by car at least, charging to park on Sunday is just the final straw realy for some drivers.

manchester city centre is awesome, as is leeds. never been shopping in birmingham but ive seen the bullring and it looks fantastic. sheffield will never compare to any of these places, we are so far behind its scarey. id love there to be some small independant shops in the city centre (aflex palace, corn exchange) i specifically travel to other cities for this kind of shopping and there is just nothing that comes close in sheffied.

I was in Manchester city centre a couple of weeks ago.

Horrible horrible place! LOTS and LOTS of scary looking folk.

All it's got going for it is Selfridges, Harvey Nicks & Flannels. Big deal - i'd much rather shop in independant stores anyhow.

The trams are disgusting too.

I was quite eager to see the Beetham Tower but wasn't at all impressed. Too monolithic and downright boring looking.

As someone said above, i like the fact Sheffield's city centre is quiet once a week. It's nice having a stroll through town on a sunday.

Nah, not impressed with Manc at all, however i've been to far worse places.

id love there to be some small independant shops in the city centre (aflex palace, corn exchange) i specifically travel to other cities for this kind of shopping and there is just nothing that comes close in sheffied.

I think that was the original idea with the Forum, and Division Street in general, lots of small shops, however it seems to be turning into just another set of fast food joints and student pubs, the small shops on Cambridge Street have all gone too.

I think that was the original idea with the Forum, and Division Street in general, lots of small shops, however it seems to be turning into just another set of fast food joints and student pubs, the small shops on Cambridge Street have all gone too.

yes its crap, the forum was never even that good either. id die for a corn exchange type place in sheff :(

yes its crap, the forum was never even that good either. id die for a corn exchange type place in sheff :(

I thought that the Forum was quite good when i first came to Sheffield 8 years ago - when the upstairs was open with freshmans and sumo and others. The Forum really went downhill after they closed upstairs. Now there's not really anything there to interest me.

Division street is going much the same way, though that area is still the nicest bit of town. Hopefully the NRQ (if it ever gets finished!) will go some way to improving this.

I'm always amazed that the little book binding shop on Devonshire Green is still there, you never see anyone in it.

I agree MobileB. Having spent the last 10 years in Sheffield, and 10 years in Manchester before that, Manchester has a lot more going for it on a Sunday. It always surprises me just how dead Sheffield is. An exception is of course when the international markets are in town - shows people are happy to shop on a Sunday if there's something open!

Greetings oh user of the same name....:o

I am a mancunian now living in Sheffield... love Sheffield for many things but the buzz of Manchester city centre is incomparable... it has a unique vibe no other city I have lived in/visited can match:D