Wellerman Bros, Dial Motors, Williams Bros, Dun Fields

Hi everyone

I'm looking for 1970s - 1980s photographs of Dun St, Dun Fields and Dun lane area at Shalesmoor, where the Ship Inn is situated. My family used to work in that area in the 1970s and 1980s. My father worked for Dial Motors, in the old Engine House workshop on Dun Fields, now demolished. Dial Motors car pitch was next to the Ship Inn, facing he main road. My brother worked for Wellerman Brothers in the 1980s, whose yard dominated the area with a large crane. A couple of years ago I visited there for the first time in many years with, bringing my son to show him, and was gutted to see how it had all changed. Almost everything I remember has gone, and been replaced by hive-like flats.  Even a search on Google maps, going back in time, does not show the building where my father worked. I would love to see some photographs of the area if anyone has any.

Back in the 1970s, if I were off school, I often went into town with my mother. We used to take the 17 or 24 bus from 377 Abbeydale Road where I lived, all the way down London Road  into town. We'd go round the usual shops at Fargate, then to Rackhams (aka Walsh's), then under the hole-in-the-road to C&A, stopping to see the fishes on the way. We'd usually finish off in Castle Market. Then we'd walk on to Shalesmoor to meet my  father who'd be finishing work. The staff at Dial Motors were so friendly, always welcomed us and joked with us. Then my Dad drive us home. I don't know why, but now, with everything gone, including my parents, these are some of the most poignant memories I have of my childhood.  Sometimes it feels like I now I live in exile in an alien world I've gotten used to, after the I knew and loved home was systematically erased.

So yes, some pictures would be nice if anyone can help.

Jason

Edited by Jason210

The building that stood before Dial Motors was probably damaged by the same stick of bombs that demolished St Philips church.

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

Thanks. You can see the jib of the Wellermans crane in the background.

Just down Dun Fields, to the right, was an old building with a massive sliding wooden door. That's where my dad worked. This is what I would really like to see -- or a view down Dun Fields towards Green Lane Works.  The building where my dad worked had great big arched windows in it that overlooked a bit of wasteland where they sold huts. I was shocked when they knocked it down, as I thought a building like that would have had at least a Grade II listing.

In that picture you have posted, the three story building to the right of the Ship Inn was not there in my youth. There was a small car park there instead. Also, the building to the left of Dial Motors was gone - the Dial Motors car pitch extended over the land where it had been. Or was part of it left standing as Julie's café?

Edited by Jason210

Dial Motors and Barkley Fantozzi brings back memories as does Motormyles which was owned by Peter kendrick whose Father owned Smiths motorcycles at the bottom of Henry St.I remember the workshop where your Dad worked on Dunfields as well.

Hi, sorry I don't have any pictures but I have many memories of Dial Motors and staff. Lewis Fantozzi owned it and the two sales staff I remember were Ron Guest and Bob Gledhill. One of the mechanics in the workshop was called Mel. My dad used to buy cars from here to sell. Good days.