Jump to content

Why Do You Support One Team?

Recommended Posts

I read something somewhere about football being similar to any other business in terms of people paying for a product, so it got me thinking about it - why do people support one football team, rather than paying to watch the best/most enjoyable at the time, like you might with gigs or other entertainment? Just interested to know what people's opinions are on this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

I read something somewhere about football being similar to any other business in terms of people paying for a product, so it got me thinking about it - why do people support one football team, rather than paying to watch the best/most enjoyable at the time, like you might with gigs or other entertainment? Just interested to know what people's opinions are on this!

I"m a supporter of football at all levels, I love football, and nothing pleases me more than seeing a team do well..

Being a Sheffield lad I support both the Owls and Blades, why people get fanatical over one team is beyond me..

Used to watch football in the 60s ,and after the game opposing fans used to shake hands and congratulate the winners.

How times have changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been around the country i was in warrington till l was bout 5 then my bro supported man u so did l for a bit...We moved to boro then l really got into it 45 years there only one team in the north east always will be . Owls my second team due to my stepsons being fans but alas not this coming weekend . 

As Padds says yeah used to shake hands and mingle with away supporters but the 70s and early 80s were just not viable for that anymore..Daft l know always a few to spoil for the rest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandad used to go to Hillsborough one week, then Bramall Lane the next. He loved Sheffield to do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mooks said:

Ive been around the country i was in warrington till l was bout 5 then my bro supported man u so did l for a bit...We moved to boro then l really got into it 45 years there only one team in the north east always will be . Owls my second team due to my stepsons being fans but alas not this coming weekend . 

As Padds says yeah used to shake hands and mingle with away supporters but the 70s and early 80s were just not viable for that anymore..Daft l know always a few to spoil for the rest...

Mooks, get thisen t' Lane and watch some proper footy (if you can get a ticket that is, like rocking horse poo at the mo...:hihi:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been a big believer in supporting your local team, I suppose some people might say that's easy to say coming from Sheffield, but not so much if you're from a small town somewhere with either a lower/non-league side. True I guess, but I'm fortunate enough to have been born in Stannington, the bedroom window from which I was born overlooks Hillsborough and you could see and hear the ground, so I was always gonna be a Wednesday supporter

 

it was never a conscious decision for me, it was written!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moistened said:

I'm the opposite. Football in general bores me. 

 

 

same here.   never been able to see whatever it is  that everyone else sees in it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my mother's side of the family a mixture of both ,  my eldest brother  my mum  are Blades ,then on my Dads side all Owls so I preferred the Owls & have been a supporter & season ticket holder & do go to some awaydays.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owl.66 said:

On my mother's side of the family a mixture of both ,  my eldest brother  my mum  are Blades ,then on my Dads side all Owls so I preferred the Owls & have been a supporter & season ticket holder & do go to some awaydays.

 

Bad choice. And it could have been oh so différent. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because if you support your local team, or the team your Dad took you along to, it means something, it's in your blood. Then there are the rivalries, the atmosphere, which you can't buy in to if you just support a team because they're the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/09/2019 at 20:31, Ridgewalk said:

Bad choice. And it could have been oh so différent. 😁

No no mi owd been through good times bad times  & indifferent, even  seen & watched  the Owls lift a cup get promoted, seen them play in a European cup tie & not many  of us seen the Owls do the double over the Blades (been along time coming).

 

WAWAW 😉

 

Edited by owl.66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.