Roundabout Question

Evening all

Please can you help me settle an argument?

Roundabout in Ripon

At the roundabout, approaching from the East (1).  On approach would you indicate left for the first exit (3) and right for the second exit (2)?

(There is only one lane on approach)

Edited by djreilly

Why would you indicate right ?

You'd only have your right indicator on if you're going all the way round and back where you came from,  then indicate left to show you're leaving by the next exit.

58 minutes ago, djreilly said:

Evening all

Roundabout in Ripon

At the roundabout, approaching from the East (1).  On approach would you indicate left for the first exit (3) and right for the second exit (2)?

Having looked at it on google earth I would certainly signal right for the second exit to make it clear to traffic coming from Studley Road that I was going to pass their junction - for the first exit it is virtually straight on and a left signal may be thought to be indicating to enter the car park on the left of the roundabout.

In any case, given such a small roundabout, no matter what you're signalling nobody should enter the roundabout until you've either passed their junction or left the roundabout.

Edited by Longcol

This is how i was taught.

C&P

When should you indicate on a roundabout?
Position your vehicle in either lane unless the arrows on the road or signs indicate otherwise. There is no need to use your indicator until you are ready to exit the roundabout. Give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout. Before exiting, use your left indicator and follow the exit lane marking

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Why would you indicate right ?

You'd only have your right indicator on if you're going all the way round and back where you came from,  then indicate left to show you're leaving by the next exit.

I always indicate right because if i did not then there could be ambiguity in my intent, percieved by road users approaching from Studley Road (3).

The 12 o'clock rule would also apply (as taught by my driving instructor, many moons ago!)

Also being a biker, I indicate right (which you correctly state could be percieved to be the intention to come back on ones self) because it would give vehicles entering from Studley Road pause to consider my actions, whether that would be taking the exit or U turning. They would not enter the roundabout in either situation! Which they could do if I did not indicate until ready to exit.

P.S.  Something I have noticed in my driving experience in North Yorkshire over the last 10 years is the lack of indicator use! It is extremely dangerous, especially to motorcycles. I can only attribute this to "tractor rules" being applied!

16 minutes ago, kidley said:

This is how i was taught.

C&P

When should you indicate on a roundabout?
Position your vehicle in either lane unless the arrows on the road or signs indicate otherwise. There is no need to use your indicator until you are ready to exit the roundabout. Give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout. Before exiting, use your left indicator and follow the exit lane marking

Have you ever been subjected to the famous Yorkshire impatience? Due to the lack of visbility between roads 2 & 3 on the diagram, there are always vehicles entering the roundabout when perhaps they should not!

3 hours ago, djreilly said:

Evening all

Roundabout in Ripon

Correct, if approaching from 1 to leave at 3, you would indicate left to warn anybody approaching from 3, that you were exiting at 3.

If approaching from 1 to leave at 2, you would indicate right to warn anybody approaching from 3 that you were going past 3, then indicate left (straight after 3) to warn anybody approaching  2 that you are exiting at 2

If approaching at 1 then leaving at 1, indicate right and go all the way round and after passing 2 indicate left to warn anybody approaching from 1 that you are exiting from 1.

The image of the roundabout is incorrect as it excludes a small lane before 3. Left indication after passing the small exit. If the intended was at 270 degrees or North then I would indicate right. Junction 2 is just over 180 degrees so I would indicate left after passing 3

5 minutes ago, Hadron said:

The image of the roundabout is incorrect as it excludes a small lane before 3. Left indication after passing the small exit. If the intended was at 270 degrees or North then I would indicate right. Junction 2 is just over 180 degrees so I would indicate left after passing 3

You must have xray specs cause i can only see three entry/exits. If there is a lane, you would indicate straight after passing said lane.

Edited by Dardandec

13 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

You must have xray specs cause i can only see three entry/exits. If there is a lane, you would indicate straight after passing said lane.

I think he means the entrance to the car park for the garage that does MOT's (looking at street view).

There is a tendency over the last few years for driving instructors in our neck of the woods to instruct drivers to indicate right when approaching a roundabout even though they will go straight on.

This is  confusing and  dangerous.

If you are waiting to take your first exit  (that is turn left)and a car approaches from your right indicating right you can no longer assume that they will continue past the exit you wish to take but might carry straight on.

On one occasion I was waiting to turn left, a car approached from my right changing  from the left lane to the right lane and indicating right.

I turned left and to my horror the other car  went  back into the left lane as he crossed in front of me  blasting me as he went.

As a result I sit there until there is absolutely no doubt as to where the indicating car is definitely going.

If following a car indicating right and they are in the right hand lane approaching the roundabout you cannot take the second exit in the left lane assuming they will take the third  exit.

I hope you understood that!!!

Edited by davyboy

IF you consider a roundabout as a short one way street that loops back onto itself then its easy.

You indicate to the left when you are going to turn off. Would you indicate to go right on a one way street with no right hand exit, and then as you get to your street suddenly indicate left and turn off?