Where Can I Get These Type Of Bricks From?

I'm  wanting to get a few bricks same or similar to these. Anyone know where I could get some from?

https://ibb.co/NZ3GkPN

You may struggle.

That looks like a hand made/low volume brick from the late C19/early C20.

The pattern of holes also suggests a brick which will fracture easily so even a second hand source may include very few whole bricks.

Out of interest, where did you find it?

Thanks TCH.

I have no recollection of when or where I got the 2 bricks from.

I collect bricks for a wall job, from anyone who has them for disposal. They more than likely came with them. 

About  8 of these multi-hole bricks are needed to brick up the top of a celler shute. Allows good ventilation and hopefully keeps vermin out. The two centre holes just need a bit of gobbo to make them mouse proof. :)

It's amazing how many companies there were making bricks years ago. Most of the bricks have the company name on them. If I cease buying a TV license & stop watching the telly I could start a whole new hobby. Do you know where I can get an anorak from?

Edited by Janus

Try Swifties on Abbeydale Road. If they don’t have any.... give up😀

22 minutes ago, Janus said:

It's amazing how many companies there were making bricks years ago. 

As part of an extension/deck I built a few years back, I built a low brick wall which was constructed of locally salvaged bricks with the company name embossed in them. 

I believe there were at least thirty different types of bricks in that wall all from Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster. I Googled most of the companies’ names and was amazed to discover there was a lot of information on most of them. In the C18th and C19th, many large building projects in South Yorkshire, either residential or industrial would include a brickworks when the bricks needed were made on site rather than bought in from elsewhere.

There seems to be quite a bit of history around brick making.

When we think about the humble brick and the amount of houses there are, and in the past, there must have been millions of bricks made over the years. 

There is a kiln in Sheffield  that I've past a few times. Can't remember exactly where it is in town.  Bit of landmark but not a massive structure. I'm assuming it was  for bricks or something similar.

31 minutes ago, Janus said:

and in the past, there must have been millions of bricks made over the years. 

Try 100’s of billions!

In 2017 alone there were 1.87 billion bricks made in the UK. 😵

a mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil, according to what I was told when we had a rodent problem, and a rat can get through a hole the size of a 2 shilling coin...about an inch...

Its just a bog standard air brick youll get something similar anywhere but as been said on here that looks badly made try jewsons

2 hours ago, Pioneer graham said:

Its just a bog standard air brick youll get something similar anywhere but as been said on here that looks badly made try jewsons

How on earth can you say that it’s been badly made?

It’s probably over 100 years old and is still around.

On 25/09/2019 at 12:22, smithy266 said:

a mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil, according to what I was told when we had a rodent problem, and a rat can get through a hole the size of a 2 shilling coin...about an inch...

Yes I've heard it a few times too. That is why I mentioned putting a bit of gobbo in the two centre holes. The other holes will be ok as they are smaller than a pencil.

19 hours ago, Pioneer graham said:

Don't know if it was made as an air brick, it could be, but have never seen an air brick of that size, It is the same sort of dimensions as a standard house brick. 

Edited by Janus