Cup Matches This Week

9 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I thought they were in the final, but there was little reporting on the event by the press they treat it like it was equivalent to the Johnstone Paint Trophy of today lol. Or about as important as the County Cup, remember that ? I vaguely remember that goalie Ironside, but it was a bit later when my mates talked me into going to Rotherham's matches, although my mum was a Rotherham fan earlier. I would never go with her. The Rotherham goalie I saw most was Gordon Morritt in the mid 60s.

Roy played at Rotherham and went onto Barnsley in the late 60's, he's in his 80's now and still attends the odd game.

Have said all along every season the top six in the premier shouldnt be allowed in the fa and league cups all there interested in is the champions league = more money..

If they get knocked out theres the Europa cup..

Im sure most of us would luv a cup run and to get to wembley  cups a cup to me dont matter what its called..

What bout a cup for the championship and leagues two of the european sides

Our league one and two have there own cup competion so why not ...

21 minutes ago, Mooks said:

Have said all along every season the top six in the premier shouldnt be allowed in the fa and league cups all there interested in is the champions league = more money..

If they get knocked out theres the Europa cup..

Im sure most of us would luv a cup run and to get to wembley  cups a cup to me dont matter what its called..

What bout a cup for the championship and leagues two of the european sides

Our league one and two have there own cup competion so why not ...

Why not indeed good idea.

14 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I thought they were in the final, but there was little reporting on the event by the press they treat it like it was equivalent to the Johnstone Paint Trophy of today lol. Or about as important as the County Cup, remember that ? I vaguely remember that goalie Ironside, but it was a bit later when my mates talked me into going to Rotherham's matches, although my mum was a Rotherham fan earlier. I would never go with her. The Rotherham goalie I saw most was Gordon Morritt in the mid 60s.

Yes Mr.T. The Millers did indeed reach the first English League Cup final - against Aston Villa -inaugurated in the 1960-61 season, the final being a two-leg affair. Rotherham won the first match at Millmoor 2-0 but lost the return game at Villa Park 3-0,

Edited by St Petre
add

How many changes will GM make  and i don,t think anyone can answer it.  I would start by giving Dawson a game, Westwood  probably needs a rest. I personally think he could have done better with Fulhams goal.  A back four of Odubajo, Bates , Thorniley, and Fox,  a midfield of , Lee,Pelupessy  Luongo and Reach, with Nuhiu partnering  Winnall up front. Nowhere near our strongest side but surely these players will be chomping at the bit to show GM what they can do.  On the bench   Jones,  Baker,Palmer, Borner, Murphy, Bannan, Rhodes  that gives him a look at what is available to him and he can take it from there. Forgetting our rivals have already softened them up for us in the last few days  therefore Owls to win 2-1 

Edited by ALAN 58

On 23/09/2019 at 16:58, petcharlie said:

Well it is the money that makes it that way i suppose.Turning out in front of 5 or 6 thousand when they are used to 30 thou must dent their enthusiasm .It should not be that way when they are on the money they draw every week .The actual cup as you say is not of great interest to them you can tell that by the squads they pick for such games.It is only in the final games of the cup when they take it seriously knowing of the doors it opens to yet more money.

It is a shame I suppose because smaller clubs rely on the games to generate well needed cash .It is a life line to small clubs and if they draw a prem team creates great interest amongst their fans and can mean a big difference to the finances of the clubs.Cup days were always special in years gone by but it has lost that magic ,another example of the big boys spoiling this once special competition.Not to long back Man Utd asked to be excused from the cup they had bigger fish and more money to grab yet another example of cheapening the cup.

True the small clubs have little access to sponsership money

I always support my club and will be there tomorrow

1 hour ago, ALAN 58 said:

How many changes will GM make  and i don,t think anyone can answer it.  I would start by giving Dawson a game, Westwood  probably needs a rest. I personally think he could have done better with Fulhams goal.  A back four of Odubajo, Bates , Thorniley, and Fox,  a midfield of , Lee,Pelupessy  Luongo and Reach, with Nuhiu partnering  Winnall up front. Nowhere near our strongest side but surely these players will be chomping at the bit to show GM what they can do.  On the bench   Jones,  Baker,Palmer, Borner, Murphy, Bannan, Rhodes  that gives him a look at what is available to him and he can take it from there. Forgetting our rivals have already softened them up for us in the last few days  therefore Owls to win 2-1 

Yes we softened them up for you and we had three players on the pitch that cost NOTHING

2 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

The Blades 'softened them up' ? They had one shot at goal all afternoon and managed to win 2-0, not that I want to take away the Blades' win, two nowt in football at any level is still two nowt !

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

The Blades 'softened them up' ? They had one shot at goal all afternoon and managed to win 2-0, not that I want to take away the Blades' win, two nowt in football at any level is still two nowt !

Its two nowt at Hillsboro

34 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

Thanks for putting me right SP. 

34 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

Thanks for putting me right SP. 

My comment wasn't meant to sound like a discourteous reply Alan (not that you implied so), I respect your input(s) on SF.