Ancestry Dna Test

My wife had the DNA test from a well known ancestry site.

She can trace her family tree quite away back but only two generations back she knew her family originally came from France.

The dna test showed no French connsction (good name for a film that), just Yorkshire and Spanish.

There are obvious Yorkshire roots but no Spanish, she doesn't even like liquorice!

Don't waste your money!

We are who we are and living in this century!

No amount of DNA info can change that!

We were taught in school that WE had been invaded at different times times, by Romans, Anglo Saxons, Danes, Jutes, Vikings and Normans.

Turns out we have more of the invaders DNA than ancient Brit DNA, so WE were actually the invaders!

Everyone has their own ideas about having DNA tests done but I had mine tested a few years ago and I am glad that I did. It's fascinating, it really is, if you are interested in genealogy. Not everyone is I have found. Also your results are added to on a regular basis so if you are looking for a particular missing link and can't find it in your results it may turn up at any time as more and more people opt to have their DNA tested. So I say have it done if you have an interest and for those that don't then just mind your own business and stop being miserable. Just because you aren't interested stop trying to spoil it for other people. 

On 27/05/2019 at 23:19, El Cid said:

AncestryDNA® can reveal your heritage and connect you to family past and present.

Only £79*

Has anyone tried it? I find it interesting, there is also the health side.
What do you get for £79? I have spent £50 plus tracing my family tree, so this will just add to my knowledge.
I am not rich, so I would want to get the most information for my money.

Watch Thursday BBC watchdog I player 10/10/2019

2 hours ago, desy said:

Watch Thursday BBC watchdog I player 10/10/2019

Yes I watched it, three tests three different results on same person.

On 27/05/2019 at 23:19, El Cid said:

AncestryDNA® can reveal your heritage and connect you to family past and present.

Only £79*

Has anyone tried it? I find it interesting, there is also the health side.
What do you get for £79? I have spent £50 plus tracing my family tree, so this will just add to my knowledge.
I am not rich, so I would want to get the most information for my money.

Hi El Cid

I'm a fairly experienced genealogist ....Just to add a few thoughts. I notice a few people have been disappointed by the DNA aspect of it...tbf Ancestry's ad gives the impression that you take the test and all is revealed...which is not the case, you have to build your tree on there to get the benefit...in which case it can be a real asset and Thrulines and access to other trees with hints can be a real bonus, but don't trust them at face value a large percentage of the tree's on there are wrong...sometimes shockingly. Take them as possibles and check via your own research.
   As to the cost, the best thing to do is sign up for a month and immediately cancel the subscription or they will automatically re-bill you at the end...you can do a lot of work in a month for your £13.99.
   Don't put all your eggs in one basket, Findmypast in some ways is better than Ancestry for UK subscribers...again sign for a month...around a tenner, and cancel to avoid automatic renewal. I would recommend drawing the tree out on paper (large) before you start adding the tree online, get the relationships in your mind before putting them online as they can be tricky to change.
   Use Freebmd, a great resource that often finds births,marriages, and deaths that even the paysites miss...great for finding births after 1911 as it's easy to put in both parents surnames and it will instantly find all their children...like all genealogy it's easier if you have uncommon surnames or christian names to work with...if it's George Smith and Mary Jones it could be difficult.

Despite the criticism by some I can tell you it can be invaluable...I found by normal genealogical means my Gran's sister's Grandson (3rd cousin)  in Australia, he has had all the DNA tests available and encouraged me to do the same...the tests results arrived and proved it beyond doubt....also came a list of 3rd cousins, one I knew of but three I didn't...an email later and we're in touch exchanging photo's and knowledge.

4th cousins and beyond can be difficult unless the surname has gone down the line but it's their in most cases if you put the work in....one of the great things for me was that my maternal Gran's side were Irish and came here in the mid 1840's...there are very few online records before that, but the DNA put me in touch with strands of the family who had emigrated to the USA...they often take genealogy more seriously and had visited Ireland and read the parish records which took my search back 150 years further than I could manage.
   My advice to anyone on a budget would be to use Freebmd and any BMD certificates you have in the family to make a start, then have a month alternately on Ancestry and Findmypast...you can do a massive amount of work in two months for less than £25. I've done a number of trees for friends and sometimes it can be easy, one I took back to 1800 in about four hours work...aspects of my Dad's side I'm still struggling with several years later.

Newbies might also not know that Birth & Death certs can be ordered online from the GRO for £7, Marriage Certs to follow soon. ( don't order through the genealogy site, they put a premium on) They can be invaluable, giving you family addresses between census dates, and occupations. 
   One big tip...when searching for names from the 19th century, remember most people were illiterate and records relied on the vicar's interpretation of a spelling...e.g. one from my tree, Jewsbury, Jewsbery, Joesbury, Jessbury and others including Gooseberry, so try other spellings.

Warning though....it can become quite addictive and you might end up like me with annual subscriptions and not being able to put it down!!

I would like, if possible, to be put in touch with any competent genealogists who would be willing to help me , firstly, verify, and secondly, expand, my family tree which I have compiled via subscriptions with Ancestry and Family Tree Maker.

I am hoping to complete this project soon as I am in my mid-seventies and happen to be last in my family line. I have had very kind help from other members, for which I'm most grateful, but if anyone can help me or recommend someone on a continuing basis for a reasonable fee, that would be ideal. Thanks.