Ancestry Dna Test

AncestryDNA® can reveal your heritage and connect you to family past and present.

Only £79*

Has anyone tried it? I find it interesting, there is also the health side.
What do you get for £79? I have spent £50 plus tracing my family tree, so this will just add to my knowledge.
I am not rich, so I would want to get the most information for my money.

Edited by El Cid

46 minutes ago, El Cid said:

AncestryDNA® can reveal your heritage and connect you to family past and present.

Only £79*

What do you get for £79? I have spent £50 plus tracing my family tree, so this will just add to my knowledge.

Always been interested in this given my varied family history. My great grandparents came in from South Africa around 1900. They were white so there is obviously a previous emigration to South Africa before that but from where we could never trace, although the family surname on that side is Norman. Also ancestors on the other side from Ireland, Scotland and Wales. My kids all have a very Scandinavian look - all tall and fair, even the girls. When I had a skin health check I was told that I have a Celtic skin type and eye colour.

For me I think it would reveal Celtic and Northern European ancestry but would be interesting to confirm. 

Are you you going to go for it?

Don't bother - It is a con . Load of complaints on the website . It is basically too vague, most common complaint people are told their ancestors come from the british isles, given  we are a hybrid of Celt , Roman,  Anglo Saxon , Scandinavian , Norman and various other settlers -not good value

49 minutes ago, lobster said:

Don't bother - It is a con . Load of complaints on the website . It is basically too vague, most common complaint people are told their ancestors come from the british isles, given  we are a hybrid of Celt , Roman,  Anglo Saxon , Scandinavian , Norman and various other settlers -not good value

But Boris Johnson had his done and he was of Turkish lineage. Nick Clegg is of Russian descent. Portillo is Spanish. 

Begs the question though... if you are correct why do so many of us claim not to be Europeans?

Truth is the U.K. is one of the biggest melting pots there is. My family even has a person of Oriental ancestry in the family tree, going back about 120 years

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

Only £79*

The Ancestry test is quite basic but if you link it to a family tree on Ancestry or elsewhere, it can confirm relationships and can help to fill in a few gaps. The power of this is limited to only a few generations back. The Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA tests offered elsewhere are better here but more expensive. You may get some interesting hints about ethnicity for recent ancestors but these will need confirmation by other means.

Healthwise, the Ancestry test is of little value but the findings can be quite entertaining.

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

But Boris Johnson had his done and he was of Turkish lineage. Nick Clegg is of Russian descent. Portillo is Spanish. 

I doubt they used Ancestry UK to find this out though; proper genealogists will have done it.

If you go to the library you can use  findmypast for nothing.

25 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

I doubt they used Ancestry UK to find this out though; proper genealogists will have done it.

Not in Portillo's case, he could just go a visit his Aunt and Uncle.

1 hour ago, PeteM01 said:

The Ancestry test is quite basic but if you link it to a family tree on Ancestry or elsewhere, it can confirm relationships and can help to fill in a few gaps. The power of this is limited to only a few generations back. The Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA tests offered elsewhere are better here but more expensive. You may get some interesting hints about ethnicity for recent ancestors but these will need confirmation by other means.

Healthwise, the Ancestry test is of little value but the findings can be quite entertaining.

A friend had it done, he said that he was contacted by a distant cousin, not sure whether he was making it up.

I read somewhere these tests are a waste of money.  

I wonder if a pharmacist who works for Boots the Chemist, might be able to give advice on what these tests can disclose and if they are a waste of money.  I know they do DNA tests so they might have some knowledge on ancestry DNA. it’s just a thought.

44 minutes ago, El Cid said:

A friend had it done, he said that he was contacted by a distant cousin, not sure whether he was making it up.

If you make your test results available to be searched online, there is a good chance that someone will contact you. I have made contact with (or been contacted by) several people based on our DNA similarity. Most turn out to be traceable through family trees and so are genuine cousins. As we have potentially more than 17,000 5th cousins, there are a lot of relations out there somewhere!

Not all DNA matches are real, however, so confirmation is always required. I found this online about the probablity of finding matching DNA between 2 cousins:

Relationship 23andMe AncestryDNA Family Tree DNA Family Finder
First cousins 100% 100% 100%
Second cousins 100% 100% >99%
Third cousins 89.7% 98% >90%
Fourth cousins 45.9% 71% >50%
Fifth cousins 14.9% 32% >10%
Sixth cousins 4.1% 11% Remote (typically less than 2%)[2]

3 hours ago, Yeah but said:

Proper genealogists will use DNA tests to confirm written records.

Comparing the DNA of living cousins can tell a very different story.

DNA can reveal "events" within and without a family.

e.g.

a child who is brought up by his grandmother as her own is very common.

as divorce and re marrying was almost impossible in the past, confirmation of the partner as a parent  is possible.

adoption within families was common.

At one time proper genealogists were only too happy to embellish family histories .

The advantage of  DNA testing is that it links in with what you already think you know and creates links that you don't know about.  Ancestry DNA is simple, has millions of users and a much bigger data base. That it cannot be used for legal purposes indicates that it has limitations.  

Like any tool you need to know how to use it and  material to work on and its limitations.