Retro Radio Casette Servicing

Hi, recently I went into my shed (for the first time since I have lived at the propety) and amongst all the junk left by the previous tennant I found a really old radio casette player, a Hitachi TRK-1255ER to be precise, from 1974 so 45 years old, it was covered in dust and cobwebs and stained by age but to my delight it burst into life when I plugged it in and turned the power on, so I spent a couple of hours giving it a good clean and its come up like new, so now I would like to get it serviced and cleaned inside, connectors cleaned etc, so I was wondering if anyone knows where is the best place to get this done in the Rotherham/Sheffield area?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, bladesman123 said:

Hi, recently I went into my shed (for the first time since I have lived at the propety) and amongst all the junk left by the previous tennant I found a really old radio casette player, a Hitachi TRK-1255ER to be precise, from 1974 so 45 years old, it was covered in dust and cobwebs and stained by age but to my delight it burst into life when I plugged it in and turned the power on, so I spent a couple of hours giving it a good clean and its come up like new, so now I would like to get it serviced and cleaned inside, connectors cleaned etc, so I was wondering if anyone knows where is the best place to get this done in the Rotherham/Sheffield area?

Thanks.

Nova electronics down Attercliffe would be your best place to try 

I think there are only one or two places (shops in Sheffield) that would service it. The drive belts have usually stretched at this age, and if your lucky the idler and drive rubbers might be still serviceable, and the heads are ok. Could cost more than its worth though.

Just take your time, take pictures of each stage of disassembly....  :)

Thank you for your advice people, the tape player seems to work ok but I'm yet to test it with an actual cassette (not owned a casette for about 10 years) but the radio side is what I'm more interested in as its a 4 band including shortwave, all I'm really wanting is the insides to have a good clean and all the connectors cleaned and greased etc, I don't want to try it myself as I'm no good at that sort of thing, I can take stuff apart easily enough but putting it all back together is a different matter lol, thanks rudds I will look into nova electronics.

All the best.

I know a few people online who repair and refurbish old tape decks for their retro computing equipment.