Illegal To Use My Panasoniv Tv Recorder?

Ghozer terminated the thread that I had started about recording Catch 22 off air. He said that recording off air is illegal. Does that mean that everyone who records off air to their tv recorder is breaking the law? And suppose someone copies this  recorded programme to a DVD... is that legal?

Edited by woolyhead

That's not quite how it was said. Recording live TV to device isn't illegal, moving it to other media and potentially sharing it, is.

As he said, it's a grey area and it just looked like he wanted to keep the thread within forum rules. You can/could buy DVD recorders for live TV so I doubt it's illegal, sharing the DVD with others probably is.

OK Zach but that's not what I've read. I think you can share a DVD showing the programme that you recorded off air, providing you are not as it were overdoing it, eg just sharing once is OK. Also the person you share it with must not be an agent for further big scale distribution. I got this from the UK Govt rules. But as Ghozer had a good reason for closing the thread that's fine with me. 

It may have been a general "file sharing talk" thread close.

I've not read up on the exact law for a long time but I doubt anyone would bother that you wanted to keep a copy of Catch 22 on a DVD for personal use. When the talk goes in a file sharing direction, I can understand why they get closed.

I had a quick look for you online and only 4OD and HULU have it running, no versions to buy that I could find. It might go on general sale later.