Sheffielders Days Out In Derbyshire

I’m remembering visiting my late grandparents, laterally of Herries Rd,  and their trips out to north Derbyshire in the 50s/60s - Whatstandwell and Apperknowle in particular- there was a particular tea gardens that they took us to that had a conservatory out the back and small butter knives that I was fascinated by. I think it must have been a popular destination for Sheffield workers but I don't know its exact whereabouts - I’d love to identify where it was - anyone else got a similar memory

Dad used to take to Fox House, we played in the stream, sometimes he collected sheep droppings for the garden. I played for a football team in the 60,s called the Kestrels, at Whitsun we would walk from Woodseats up Whirlowdale Road, through the park to the Roundhouse and take the old Roman road to Fox House then on to Castleton. Catch the bus home for tea then down to the Royal Oak Cemetery Road for a few pints.

We kids used to take the train from Heeley to Grindleford than follow the Derwent to Stoney.

Remember the ledge halfway up? It narrowed down at one point he where you had to squeeze around with your back to the wall, to get to the other side.  Some kids couldn't do it!